Transmission install fj40. 1980. Planned disaster (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
plan to install the transmission back in tomorrow.

Done are the following:

New rear main seal
New oil Pan gasket
New clutch kit
New pilot bearing
Seated pilot bearing on main

My question is that it seems like it will be a PITA to install that whilie lining up the clutch fork and throw out

Not to mention any advice in getting this beast lined up off the ground

Anyone got any great advice before I waste 7 hours and have a stroke

Thanks
Eaj71

...via IH8MUD app

Are you working alone? Do you have a tranny jack? I've done it solo two ways, with the engine out and with it installed. I personally find it easier to marry the 2 together with the engine out of the truck and then install them back into the truck as one unit.

Agree with Fast Eddy...

You didn't mention it, but I would highly recommend you have your flywheel resurfaced if you haven't done so. Additionally I would install a new (high quality) throwout bearing.

Or if you don't have your hardtop in, you can use a hoist and lower it down through the tranny hump cavity marry them that way.

Always more then one way to skin a cat!
Good luck however you decide to do it.

Or if you don't have your hardtop in, you can use a hoist and lower it down through the tranny hump cavity marry them that way.

Always more then one way to skin a cat!
Good luck however you decide to do it.

After the 78 model the large transmission opening was gone. The transmission hump was now part of the tub with inspection cover just larger than the area shifter are in. Plus offset to the right side. Not as easy option. On the 78 and earlier it can be done with the top on by rigging a beam between the doors. But it also requires dealing with the heater, front seats and gas tank.

Last edited:
+1 on the transmission jack, My brother, father, and I only had a regular jack and it took us an hour to get that sucker in. Although this was with the engine out

Me and a friend did this on my 80 but we didn't have an alignment tool and no trans jack. He put the trans up on his chest and picked it up and stabed it lol big guy! ;)
But that's the way my uncle used to do fords and Chevys as well. I was just really carefull when I was moving the clutch disk with a big screw driver eyeballing the line up and it worked out :flipoff2:. But mine is an off-road truck and didn't have the money to replace any parts. And I even had the clutch disk out of a 72 40
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

One helpful thing that I have found is to leave the trany in a gear (doesn't matter which one). It helps to be able to turn the output shaft to align your splines on the input shaft.

After the 78 model the large transmission was gone. That are was now part of the tub with inspection cover just larger than the area shifter are in. Plus offset to the right side. Not as easy option. On the 78 and earlier it can be done with the top on by rigging a beam between the doors. But it also requires dealing with the heater, front seats and gas tank.
I did not know that. Never owned an '80. Learn something new everyday

never saw installing a tranny a big problem 2 floor jacks ,or tranny jack ,beam through the doors and come along ,forklift with one fork removed .4x4 blocks raisin it a few inches at a time done this at night in a field .i geuss after 40 years and many trannies it gets easier .removing rear motor mounts and lowering back of engine down makes it real simple .good luck

Yup. Did the flywheel too

Just hoping for the magic solution

Thanks
All

...via IH8MUD app

under the truck is gunna stink no matter what. having done 3 swaps from under, and one out of vehicle, the latter is the only way to go. of coarse, I'll prolly do it under the rig again if need be, but it is a bear. That being said, mate one piece case prior to mating the trans to bell housing- split cases I recommend stabbing trans first, then assembling the split case from under the rig as the split cases bits are light and easy to install. keep the trans in gear for ease of spline alignment. a tran jack is a smart thing but a floor jack can also be used altho I recommend not to use a floor jack unless you have someone helping and the 2 of you can keep it on the jack. A couple of big guys can just muscle them into place/ have done once with a couple of friends this way, but best thing is a trans jack. the line-up with all the gear in the bellhousing is a pain, just gotta do it tho.

Beam thru the doors? Nah.

I've put in the tranny/T-case twice on my '75 without removing the engine and w/ hardtop on, solo. Easiest way is to remove seats and seat frame, remove heater, and remove tranny hump. Slide the tranny/T-case under the car below where it will end up when mounted. Poke a hoist in through the open passenger door, chain it to the tranny thru the hole in the floor, and lift the transmission into place.

Oh yea, continually be sure the clutch fork is clipped in correctly. Both times I've done it I had to wrestle with the clutch fork clips after I had it partway stabbed into the clutch disc.

If the hard top is on, you can remove the seats and use a tow strap over the roof as a hoisting point. Maybe not the best idea, but it does work. It's probably worth your time to pull the steering wheel too, if you were going to do it this way.

7 hours

With jack and hoist

No luck

It seems one can't raise the transmission evenly as there is a crossmember that hits the bell hosing in the back of the transfer case

Tried a few different angles.

About to say f this

Any last tidbits

Thanks
Eaj61

...via IH8MUD app

Bump. Looking for any advice

Again can't seem to clear crossmember and get input shaft in.

Thus not a horizontal
Plane

Thanks
Eaj71

...via IH8MUD app

It sounds to me like you are having problems with the tube crossmember behind the transmission being in the way, hitting the e-brake drum on it. If this is correct you may find that if you disconnect the rear motor mounts, lower the rear of the motor a bit, and carefully blocking the motor so it won't move, will allow the transmission to be installed without interference from the crossmember. After the transmission is properly installed you can then lift the motor/transmission/TC back up into place and re-attach the rear motor mounts without any interference from the crossmember.

Don

^^^that...under rig trans install is a bear. take some deep breathes and get back in there. maybe go grab a 12er and call some friends...

If you have trouble getting it in the last inch, have someone step on the clutch pedal while you wiggle the nose of the tranny around until it slides in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom