Transmission help-real time (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need some help/advice folks.

Changed my transmission fluid a few weeks ago, dropped the pan and changed filter too. 194k on the 04 LC.
Filled with synthetic to proper amount.
Been driving just fine for about two weeks. Parked and went out in the morning and no drive or reverse, or other forward gears.
It just revs as if it were in neutral.
In park it doesn't move as normal.
I tried the t-case in low and high with the center diff locked, no change.
I checked the fluid level, just fine. Nothing leaked out.
No weird noises or anything.

I had it towed to local shop, they are telling me the transmission is toast and that Toyota only has one in the country and that I should also replace the t-case. All for about $8500 with labor.

I'm having trouble believing all of a sudden the transmission and t-case are shot.

The truck starts and runs perfectly otherwise.

Any advice or tricks to get the thing moving again would be appreciated....how difficult to swap out transmission in my driveway?

I recently went through a similar scenario. I feel your pain.

I'd certainly double check your fluid level before replacing the transmission. I'm pretty sure the '04 was the first year without the dipstick, did you follow the FSM procedure to check the fluid level (at operating temp)? If not, maybe you'll get lucky and it's simply a low fluid issue.

Why replace the Tcase too? The shop its trying to take you.

Verify fluid, verify shift linkage attached, maybe try a neutral drop? Going from fine to not fine overnight sounds really fishy, usually there is some indication of impending failure.

I also think the tcase replacement comment is a sign the shop is not knowledgeable about this driveline. I can’t speak for the transmission situation.

Why replace the Tcase too? The shop its trying to take you.

Verify fluid, verify shift linkage attached, maybe try a neutral drop? Going from fine to not fine overnight sounds really fishy, usually there is some indication of impending failure.

I agree with both statements here. When mine failed it was while driving from an obvious issue. Hard to believe it broke while sitting still. Also my trans failed completely and the transfer case was 100% fine.

I also think the tcase replacement comment is a sign the shop is not knowledgeable about this driveline. I can’t speak for the transmission situation.

Appreciate all the feedback. I will triple check the fluid amount at operating temp with the check plug on the pan.
What's a "neutral drop"?

Likely fluid low, and or wrong ATF.

What ATF did you use and how many qts?

Give "detail" on how you checked the temperature to get proper level?

Not to sound like a jerk, but minus a working transmission more like 4-5k. I paid less than he is asking for a 98 with approx same mileage, WITH a working transmission. GLWS, but he’d be better off repairing it.

"Engine runs perfect" would have been better but he was pretty straightforward with it when you read the whole ad.
That's the opposite of straightforward. Straightforward would be, my truck don't run so good right now. In fact my truck might have a serious issue. He was honest, but I would not call it straightforward. Runs perfect and my tranny might be trashed are contradictions.

Last edited:
Drive flanges stripped? Did you try locking the center diff and see if it moves???

Drive flanges stripped? Did you try locking the center diff and see if it moves???
You'd think, the shop check for this! But perhaps not.
I was going the opposite direction today, to do inspection. Perhaps I should go look at this one. :hmm:

First thing is check the pictures on the CL ad- stated "Excellent" condition but things like the winch line is unfurled and just laying on top of the bumper, truck is salt covered, engine compartment very dirty, missing wheel cover, interior- seatbelts dirty and greasy looking-so it gives an idea of how it was looked after, and to say "excellent" well that's another misrepresentation. Sorry OP, but if you post up an ad to this crowd- you're going to get a lot of scrutiny good or bad.

You'd think, the shop check for this! But perhaps not.
I was going the opposite direction today, to do inspection. Perhaps I should go look at this one. :hmm:
I'd go have a look- but since its not drivable, you can really check for other drivability issues- so maybe $3k-5k is a reasonable price point on a non-drivable truck.

I’ve got a trans if that’s what it ends up needing. Wish I was closer to take a look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom