Transmission Hard 1-2 Shift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone experience this before?

The transmission is shifting hard from 1st to 2nd. It actually revs a little higher than normal, then shifts hard, like a "transmission flair". If I adjust how heavy my foot is on the throttle when I accelerate , I can it to shift smoothly. 2-3 and 3-4 show no problems.

This is a rebuilt transmission from 2014 and no other problems until just recently. Drained and filled with Mobil 1 ATF (3.7 qts) about 4 weeks ago, went on a 800 mile trip 2 weeks ago, then this starts happening today. Drained and filled again today with Mobil 1 ATF (3.7 qts) to try and rule that out. Little to no improvement.

Any thoughts? Don't really want to take it into a transmission shop if I don't have to.

Oh, and this is NOT the driveline thunk, I eliminated that a while ago. This is definitely a 1-2 shift issue.

... and no codes yet...

Clutches are slipping, that is the symptom. Hard gear changes.

Thanks. If it's the solenoids, I could probably take care of that myself. Clutches? I'll have to take it in. Perhaps I'll take it in for a diagnostic and see what they say...

Will follow up...

Sometimes, it is the transmission fluid itself. You said everything was fine, you switched trans fluids, went on a trip, it started.
Changed fluid again, but used same fluid as before the trip.
I have always had good luck with Valvoline MaxLife transmission fluid, thats what's in my truck, for 15,000 miles and no issues at all.

In my 01 I had a "little" bit of hard shift many years ago. I did a full 12qt flush (not a drain & fill) and it cleared up.

I don't think a drain and fill will do much for you either way (good or bad). In a transmission with very high mileage that has never been flushed, I may start with drain and fill just to genitally introduce. One concern is dislodging slugs. With your 3 year old transmission I can't imagine you have any slug.

You are topping to high mark, transmission at normal operating temp with engine idling correct.

I did a complete fluid exchange yesterday. Was hoping that I had just over filled previously and that a complete exchange would clear things up. No joy. Actually seems to be getting worse and affecting more than just 1-2 shift point now.

Not what I expected out of a 3yr old transmission. Really disappointed in the so-called remanufactured transmission. Of course, I'm 8-months out of the 24 month warranty. This was not a Toyota reman, but from a transmission shop recommended by a place that specializes in Land Cruisers.

Will take it in and let you know how it goes.

Transmission is toast. It was a 3yr, 25k mile old rebuild from a transmission shop. Putting in OEM remanufactured, will never do a rebuild again.

Ouch, sorry to hear. Did you by chance contact the shop that did the rebuild and give them a little WTF?

Yes, they offered to cover the labor if I take it back to them. I wasn't going to have them do the same job over again, why expect different results the 2nd time? And they were going to charge me for parts, which most likely aren't factory, so I said, uh.. No.

Just to finish off the thread, I ended up having a Toyota reman put in. They didn't tear into the bad one, so I never got an actual diagnosis as to what was causing the symptoms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom