Transmission fluid questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi all
I've been thinking on replacing the transmission fluid with the next oil change.
my truck has 195K miles, I had for a little over a year and put about 15k miles on it.
I don't have a clue when it was replaced nor what's inside. It does look clean though.

I was planning on doing the drain (from the drain plug) + refill (from now on with every oil change). My concern is that I don't know what's inside, so don't know what to put. If there's a mismatch, could be bad for the tranny? If I go with a good aftermarket, would it be safer? (Mobil 1 or Valvoline) 3 quarters is enough?

Should I drop the pan and replace the filter?

Thanks in advance

If you have no clue on when filter was done last, I would drop pan and change it. You will also usually get more fluid out doing filter. I would just go with dexron oem type fluid unless you do complete fluid exchange. Oem fluid is fine, save your money on synthetics considering you have drain plug and can change more frequently.

depending on what year you have you wont need dexron, you would ne type t or ws. it will say on the dipstick or in the owners manual.

You did not put the year of your Cruiser...mine is a 2000 and it uses simple dexron which you can get from any parts store, it does not need to be Toyota Fluid. Kind of like Harley Oil....you pay them to have their name on the label. As long as it meets O.E.M. specs it is okay.

I believe your 4speed trans ( A343F) uses Dexron Type III or Type IV. Many have had good results with Mobil 1 ATF. Do a search and double check.

Yes I have had good luck with M1 Multi-Vehicle Formula ATF. If you have a '99 then that will work just fine for you. And it's okay to mix them I would just recommend doing drain & fills at specific intervals from here on so you can eventually get rid of all the old fluid (or just pulling the oil cooler line and setting it in a bucket while you cycle between the gears).

Mine is 2000 and I think just drain and fill needs 4 quarts. I went with toyota atf and it was DII on the drain bolt.

Just did transmission fluid flush last weekend, Lexus of Austin sold me Mobil ATF D/M Dexron III. It shifts much smoother now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom