Transmission fluid in FJ Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anyone tell me how to replace the transmission fluid in a 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4? By accident, when draining the oil, I drained the transmission fluid:whoops:. The local Toyota dealership said it was a very special procedure and a sealed compartment, to fill it and will take them 4-5 hours to complete and I'm sure a lot of $$$. The tow truck driver said it will take no more than 15 minutes. Does anyone have any experience with this? I want to have as much info as I can when I go to pick it up from Toyota and they try to charge me an arm and a leg. Thanks!:crybaby:

It can be filled, but it's a real pain - check the service manual it explains it. There's a lot of variables on how much fluid you're supposed to put back in, and if you didn't measure exactly how much came out it's not so easy to guess.

Dealership out here does an AT fluid swap for 180-something. They hook up a special pumping machine to the AT and force the old fluid out with new fluid. Honestly, probably save yourself a lot of headaches in the long run if you just eat your mistake now. I don't think it takes "hours" though, maybe they need the truck that long because they're busy but the actual procedure isn't that long.

Good luck whatever you decide to do!

If you measured how much you took out, you can pump that exact amount back into the fill plug hole. It only takes Toyota Type WS or Redline D6 ATF. That should be less than 2 qts. If you have the dealer completely flush the system it typically costs from $135 (to just top it back off) to $160 for a complete flush. Don't let them charge you more than about $180 for this service.

The fill plug in on the driver's side, front of the 5AT.

Here's the instructions :http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...8225019-synthetic-oil-auto-trans-01700210.pdf

Hope this helps.

DEWFPO

Can anyone tell me how to replace the transmission fluid in a 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4? By accident, when draining the oil, I drained the transmission fluid:whoops:. The local Toyota dealership said it was a very special procedure and a sealed compartment, to fill it and will take them 4-5 hours to complete and I'm sure a lot of $$$. The tow truck driver said it will take no more than 15 minutes. Does anyone have any experience with this? I want to have as much info as I can when I go to pick it up from Toyota and they try to charge me an arm and a leg. Thanks!:crybaby:

Complete bull****.

Take out the fill-level plug on the bottom (not the drain plug), it takes a hex bit, I forget which size. Take out the fill plug on the side with a 24mm socket. Add Toyota ATF Type WS until it starts to dribble out of the fill-level hole on the bottom. Re-install fill-level plug. Now it is driveable; drive it until fully warm and do the same procedure over again (or drive it to a different dealer if you want and have them check the level).

It is supposed to be checked within a certain temperature range but you will be very close doing it as above. If you're really anal about it, you can short some pins on your diagnostic port and get the tranny light in the dash to flash at you when it's in the right temp. range. It's all in the service manual.

Complete bull****.

Take out the fill-level plug on the bottom (not the drain plug), it takes a hex bit, I forget which size. Take out the fill plug on the side with a 24mm socket. Add Toyota ATF Type WS until it starts to dribble out of the fill-level hole on the bottom. Re-install fill-level plug. Now it is driveable; drive it until fully warm and do the same procedure over again (or drive it to a different dealer if you want and have them check the level).

It is supposed to be checked within a certain temperature range but you will be very close doing it as above. If you're really anal about it, you can short some pins on your diagnostic port and get the tranny light in the dash to flash at you when it's in the right temp. range. It's all in the service manual.

x2 .......easiest way to take care of the issue.

This doesn't have to be done at a Toyota dealership. Other car dealers have this type of machine also. So, if your near a Ford/Chevy/Nissan dealership call them. If you do this though u will need to purchase your own fluid from Toyota.

does anybody kno what millage that you are suppost to change tranny fluid if the fjc. is it different from any other vehicle?

does anybody kno what millage that you are suppost to change tranny fluid if the fjc. is it different from any other vehicle?

Toyota Type WS ATF is reputed to be synthetic. Nothing (that I can find) is ever mentioned in the Scheduled Maintenance Guide about changing it, but I changed mine at about 65,000 miles on principle (I expect my FJC to last nearly forever). I've had good luck and very high mileage with other Toyota auto trannies by completely flushing the ATF at +/- 60,000 miles.

This is great info. I see the torque spec on the refill plug is 29lbs and the Overflow Plug is 15lbs but I cannot find the spec for the DRAIN plug. Is this 15 lbs also?

This is great info. I see the torque spec on the refill plug is 29lbs and the Overflow Plug is 15lbs but I cannot find the spec for the DRAIN plug. Is this 15 lbs also?

I'm having a little difficulty finding that spec as well but since that drain plug is in the pan, I would guess it would need to be no more that 15-20 Ft.lbs. The fill plug is in the casing so it can take more torque. But that is just a guess.

DEWFPO

There is no drain plug that I know of.
There is indeed a drain plug, right next to the check fill plug located on the bottom of the transmission pan. The filler hole is on the side of the transmission housing.

That was a trip in the Wayback Machine! Haven't been back there in ages.
Ya, we miss you over there.

Using this method:
Disconnect a line up front (at my tranny cooler) since it's easy to get to.
Open the filler plug on the side of the tranny and stick in a filler tube and funnel.
Put a drain bottle under the open line.
Start it up to pump out a couple of quarts at a time.
Shut it down
Add new fluid in the amount pumped out.
Repeat until I use up all the fluid that I have.

Does this convert all the old fluid in the pan also?

Ya, we miss you over there.

Using this method:
Disconnect a line up front (at my tranny cooler) since it's easy to get to.
Open the filler plug on the side of the tranny and stick in a filler tube and funnel.
Put a drain bottle under the open line.
Start it up to pump out a couple of quarts at a time.
Shut it down
Add new fluid in the amount pumped out.
Repeat until I use up all the fluid that I have.

Does this convert all the old fluid in the pan also?

It should get the fluid in the pan; what it won't get is the fluid in the cooler and in the line from the cooler back to the transmission. Not a great deal of fluid to miss. The important thing IMO is to get all the fluid in the torque converter, because that is a lot - but you would with your method anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom