Transmission fluid fill, how much is enough ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My '93 FZJ80 needs a transmission fluid change. However, I'm not doing a complete system flush just draining the pan. I see the system capacity is 12.6 qt but I know I cannot add that much since I never drained the system. So, how much do I add to start ?

I should have measured what I took out:doh: but It's a little late for that now...

Thanx as always...

Have you done a complete flush? If not, here is your chance to do it! Of course, you will have to guesstimate how much you took out before taking her to the service station, as you have to her filled up! You may be out a couple of bucks, but don't drive it with that much fluid gone. Good luck!:cheers:

PS. Have you changed/flushed your power steering fluid?

For some reason 4 qts is sticking in my head from when I drained mine, if you search around here I know it's there somewhere.

The accurate way to do it (if not doing a "full" flush) is to drain from pan, and then dump that into one of the 4quart oil jugs that has a level window on it. This way you know exactly how much came out and how much needs to go back in. Assuming of course the level was correct when you started.

When I drained mine last weekend, it measured out to 3.6 quarts. I plan on doing the drain/fill 2 or three times with some driving inbetween, and then every oil change.

I use the drain plug and refill method every other oil change. Average is about 6 quarts for me.

The accurate way to do it (if not doing a "full" flush) is to drain from pan, and then dump that into one of the 4quart oil jugs that has a level window on it. This way you know exactly how much came out and how much needs to go back in. Assuming of course the level was correct when you started.

When I drained mine last weekend, it measured out to 3.6 quarts. I plan on doing the drain/fill 2 or three times with some driving inbetween, and then every oil change.

That's assuming that the person before you put the correct amount in it!

Get a case of transmission fluid. Especially if doing a flush. You should have enough left over to flush and fill the power steering too.

I used Napa fluid as it was way cheaper than the synthetic MObil 1

Check the dipstick before you begin while it is cold, score it and then fill it back to below that level if you are unsure if you currently have the correct amount or to that level if you are sure that you do. Then drive it around after replacing fluid, get it up to hot operating temperature. Then add as necessary to get the fluid level to the HOT line.

Thanks Guys...

As always, good info and at least I'm armed with a little info before I start.

Thanx again....

Put 6 quarts in, thanks.

^^^^^^

This. Throw 6 qts in it.....warm it up, check the level on the damn dipstick.....add more if needed, drain some off if overfilled.

This isn't rocket surgery. ;)

^^^^^^

This. Throw 6 qts in it.....warm it up, check the level on the damn dipstick.....add more if needed, drain some off if overfilled.

This isn't rocket surgery. ;)
Thanks, I’m like why can’t we just go by the dipstick reading am I missing something here?

Just started changing everything out on my new '97 w/ 275k miles. Drained transmission and got only 3 out. The PO did not care or know anything about taking care of truck. Started with 4qt, drove around town and then freeway for 10mi and checked again, added 5th qt and drove it again. Will let it settle overnight and then drive in the morning and check. Could probably squeak in another qt but not going to push it. I plan on doing several changes over the next 3 months to get it right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom