Transmission fluid change mistakes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I tried to change the transmission fluid today and made a couple errors (should have read up on the forum before hand). I drained the pan without unscrewing the fill plug above first (forgot that 06 doesn't have transmission fluid dipstick and you have to add fluid through the fill plug) and forgot to measure the exact amount I extracted before disposing of the drained fluid into my waste oil barrel. In terms of proceeding forward from here, will I be able to unscrew the fill plug now? Assuming I can unscrew the fill plug, do I just add 2.5qt of transmission fluid (read that the pan drains ~2-3qt of fluid), warm up the car and release the overfill plug to check for any excess fluid? Any input here would be appreciated.

Search for: A750F "Level Check Procedure"- or look in the FSM for the process.

Very important that you have the correct fluid level set at specific temperature range which has been updated since FSM was printed: now checking fluid level between 95F & 115F

good luck

Add 3 quarts - then follow the attached procedures for fluid level check

Update on this. I inserted 3qt of transmission oil and tried to engage AT temp check mode using the linked thread instructions above and could not get it to engage (I triple checked that my jump wire is in slots 4 and 13). Something did happen when I followed the procedures my ABS, VSC and VGRS lights started to flash...I'm not sure that's suppose to happen with AT temp check mode. I figured maybe my transmission wasn't up to temperature so I waited another 20-30min and the AT Temp light never came on. Does any one know what mode I engaged or what I could have done wrong?

I ordered a temperature gun on AMZN and will just measure the AT temp by checking the temp of the transmission pan if I can't get check mode to engage in the car. Can someone advise if I should follow the new standard (95F-115F) or old standard (115F-130F) of temperature check?

Last edited:
IR Temp Gun will get you close but not perfect since it checks exterior pan temp and by the time the pan gets to 97f the fluid inside will probably be hotter. Also there's some accuracy issues with some of the cheaper IR guns. But if thats all you got - run with it.

Best if you have Techstream ( next time) or ScanGuage with the Transmission Xcode programmed into it.

Also the procedure for activating the the AT temp indicator is no good any longer since it is set to come on at the original higher temperature parameters. You need to check between 97~115F
Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 7.17.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 7.15.46 PM.png

Thanks, makes you wonder if this whole temp check thing even matters (within a certain range) if people in the past have done it with the old standard and now is being referred to the new standard. Eitherway, I ordered two guns from Amazon to cross check and will drain toward the low end of the updated range. Hopefully that gives me some margin for error with the temp difference btw fluid inside and pan.

Thanks, makes you wonder if this whole temp check thing even matters (within a certain range) if people in the past have done it with the old standard and now is being referred to the new standard. Eitherway, I ordered two guns from Amazon to cross check and will drain toward the low end of the updated range. Hopefully that gives me some margin for error with the temp difference btw fluid inside and pan.

Watch this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom