Transmission Fluid Capacity

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by alaskacruiser, Jul 29, 2003.

1. alaskacruiser

alaskacruiser

Quick Q: My LX450's manual only lists the drain/refill quantity for tranny fluid, but not the amount if you are doing a full fluid exchange. Can someone post the fluid capacity of the A343F for a full / first-time fill? (no A442F v s. A343F debates, please!) :-\

2. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
    There is a great dispute over how much a 343 holds. The factory manual says it is about 12 quarts (12. something, IIRC). some folks on 80scool insist it's more like 16, which is what a 442 holds. I have never dis-assembled a 343 and drained it and the converter completely to see who's right. I tend to lean toward the factory manual but it certainly could be wrong.

3. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

I can tell you that the drain and fill numbers from the factory are wrong. The say 2 quarts but it is more like 4 quarts. It would seem that they got numers confused between the A340 and A343.

4. ParadiseCruiser

ParadiseCruiser

Yep, I concur with Rick. I drain/refill 4 L exactly from my 343 (4 qts+ a few oz...), so I would not trust the published quantities in FSM for a 343 either.

R -

5. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
    When I had the pan off my 442 a couple weeks ago, I drained the pan and left the plug out for about 5 minutes.(I got just over 6 quarts out). I put it back in and did a couple things and then pulled the pan bolts and cut the pan free. There was another quart-and-a-half of ATF in the pan by that time and the valve body coutinued to drip for the whole time that the pan was off. I ended up putting 7 1/2 quarts in to bring it back to full.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.