Transmission Fluid 3.6,4,5 6.5??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I need some advice.
I changed my ATF last night and got my self confused. Searched forum beforehand and concluded 4qt for 95+ J80 People reported getting 3.6 to 4qt drained old fluid. And more for 94 J80 about 5qt.Then I looked into owner's menu and it reads 6.5qt. I drained and filled 4qt. checked cold fluid level just out of curiocity,It appeared to be very close to hot fluid line. I emptied a gallon jug to checked on oil fluid and got about 3.6+/-. Now I don't know which part is wrong. Is it possible that old fluid got trapped and did not come all out?What should I do next,drain to correct level? Thanks for help solving the problem.

image.jpg

You should check transmission fluid according to the owners manual and FSM. Engine running on level ground at normal operating temperature.
If you don't have the engine running, more of the fluid is sitting in the pan and you will always get a high reading.

FWIW, I have always found it difficult to get an accurate reading on my LX450 using the dipstick. There always seems to be residual fluid in the tube.

Last edited:
Engine running on level ground at normal operating temperature.
If you don't have the engine running, more of the fluid is sitting in the pan and you will always get a high reading.

that is the proper way to check the fluid level. engine running with the trans cold will at least give an idea of where the fluid level is but final adjustments to how much should be made at operating temp.

4qt is generally a good place to start if you not sure how much youll need. start low and add as needed, easier than over filling and having to go back under and drain.

for next time after the fluid is drained out measure what came a out and put the same amount back in. I use one of these at work.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lisle-LI...62769&wl11=online&wl12=26779415&wl13=&veh=sem

Got it. I am going to check it cold with engine running, shift P-》L-》P,then check dip stick. Tomorrow I will drive it for 10+mile then check again. Will report back later.

Next time do a fluid exchange via the transmission cooler hose. Its the easy and less messy way to swap out all of the fluid inside the transmission and torque converter. PM me if you have questions after searching the forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom