Transmission experts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This weekend my wife and I went and camped at the Oregon sand dunes, and while driving around the dunes I noticed the vehicle feeling extremely underpowered, I let off the throttle and then my trans A/T temp light came on and I noticed I had forgot to switch back to 4lo after running back to town. I put the vehicle into neutral to cool down, light went out quickly, I put it into 4lo and drove around fine until I gave it some beans to go up a hill. It started climbing up normal and just at the crest of the hill slowed to a stop and would not move forward at all. Usually 4lo, in lo you will just spin the tires and sink.

Now back on flat ground and off the sand the vehicle will not go into "low" or 1st gear. It will also (assuming by feel) not go into second gear. If you put it into drive I'm pretty sure it is starting in 3rd gear and once up to speed shifts fine into over drive.

If I am moving slowly ~10mph and downshift to second no shift changes, bit if I go into 1st (lo) you can feel the drive train binding and it shutters to a stop. If you push the throttle you get no forward movement in "lo" (in 4lo, or 4hi)

*Fluid is still pink, not burnt smelling or low on fluid. Year is a 95

I have not seen a thread with any similar issues. 🤷‍♂️

I made it back home thankfully without needing a tow and plan on just getting a used transmission, I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced a similar failure.

I has similar issues to you with my 343. I am 90% sure it was a solenoid issue.

Since I needed to do the rear main anyways I just swaped in a new transmission. Its from a lx450 so clearly its much smoother :smokin:

I got mine from a salvage yard for $400 with much lower mileage than mine had.

Now I have a fantastic paperweight sitting in my garage......

I has similar issues to you with my 343. I am 90% sure it was a solenoid issue.

Since I needed to do the rear main anyways I just swaped in a new transmission. Its from a lx450 so clearly its much smoother :smokin:

I got mine from a salvage yard for $400 with much lower mileage than mine had.

Now I have a fantastic paperweight sitting in my garage......
Indeed! Does the Lexus trans actually shift differently? For the price of a used transmission, and so few problems with our transmissions, it seems justifiable to just throw another one in.. but I'm very curious as to figuring out the why of it all..

Also skimming through the fsm I was hoping to find a hydraulic flow chart for each gear, but no luck.

Indeed! Does the Lexus trans actually shift differently? For the price of a used transmission, and so few problems with our transmissions, it seems justifiable to just throw another one in.. but I'm very curious as to figuring out the why of it all..

Also skimming through the fsm I was hoping to find a hydraulic flow chart for each gear, but no luck.

It does not. Its the exact same unit.

I like to joke that it is better.

It's a LOT less work to change solenoids than to change the transmission!

Bham Cruiser said: "while driving around the (sand) dunes"

Could these symptoms be related to an overheated/failing viscous coupler??

So just got done going over the diagram and issue with the local transmission shop. The issue is 1st and 2nd are basically both engaged at the same time right now, do to a failed one way clutch. Since you cannot be in 2 gears at once it causes everything to bind up in 1st, and bypasses second going straight to 3rd do to the gear pack design of 1-2 gear pack.

So just got done going over the diagram and issue with the local transmission shop. The issue is 1st and 2nd are basically both engaged at the same time right now, do to a failed one way clutch. Since you cannot be in 2 gears at once it causes everything to bind up in 1st, and bypasses second going straight to 3rd do to the gear pack design of 1-2 gear pack.
Well, at least that's what they're telling you.

Do you know enough to refute what they say or are they really convincing?

I've had transmission shops tell me I need a new transmission when all it was only a cable adjustment.

If you believe them, have them do it.

If you read all the stuff in here about these transmissions, they RARELY have issues that are not due to fluid level or solenoids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom