Transmission dipstick level woes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rvk

Threads
Can the level read off of a transmission dipstick read high because of driving in a hilly area?

The local Toyota dealer seems to think so. After doing a few drain / fills myself, I noticed that the fluid level was (very) high on the dipstick.
I had Toyota check it out when it was in there for some work. They said its because I live in the hills, and that I should let it warm up from cold on a level area and then check. Hmmm.... When I do that, it reads low.

EDIT: When I check transmission fluid level. I drive around my hilly area, let the car warm up. Park on my level driveway, leave the engine idling, pull dip stick, re-insert and then check. Fluid level is about a CM over the hot full line.

Last edited:
Can the level read off of a transmission dipstick read high because of driving in a hilly area?

The local Toyota dealer seems to think so. After doing a few drain / fills myself, I noticed that the fluid level was (very) high on the dipstick.
I had Toyota check it out when it was in there for some work. They said its because I live in the hills, and that I should let it warm up from cold on a level area and then check. Hmmm.... When I do that, it reads low.
Yes you get a false reading if you are on an incline, i blew an engine on a 1968 Case 530CK because of that.

Yes you get a false reading if you are on an incline, i blew an engine on a 1968 Case 530CK because of that.

I measure it on a flat surface. But I drive on a lot of hills / sharp turns.

For trucks without a dipstick you can drain exactly the right amount of excess fluid from the overflow plug. When fluid is hot and engine is idling, of course.

A750F_1.jpg

Last edited:
I’m in a ‘99 and only have the dipstick. Can’t you pull one of the lines off the bottom of the radiator and drain some that way... that’s tranny fluid right?

Driving in hilly area will work transmission a bit more. Which may increase fluid temperature, as such fluid expand more. By just letting sit idling for 5 minutes, the temp will drop.
Check level after the drive to warm up fluid/engine/transmission, shifting through all gears. Then let idle for 5 minutes, shift through all gears and recheck. Let idle additional 5 minutes and repeat.

Tip: If you use Mobil 1 MV full synthetic ATF, you'll not see much change. Stuff is great and runs cool.

Reactions: rvk
@2001LC, for those of us with the dipstick who live in a hilly area is the following procedure the best way to do a drain and fill to get the correct level? Also, at step 5, how much fluid would you add? Same amount that came out or would you slightly underfill to ensure final level is correct with small amounts added at step 10.
  1. Drive car to warm up fluid/engine/transmission and shift through all gears on drive.
  2. Park on level surface.
  3. Drain via transmission drain pan plug.
  4. Reinstall drain plug with new gasket - torque to 15 ft-lbs.
  5. Refill system via dipstick.
  6. Drive car to warm up fluid/engine/transmission and shift through all gears on drive.
  7. Park on level surface and idle for 5 minutes.
  8. Shift through all gears.
  9. Check level via dipstick.
  10. Top up system as required.
    • Between each fluid add, let engine idle for 5 minutes and shift through all gears before checking dipstick level.

More or less. I start by checking level. Than closely measure what comes out. I'd not waste gaskets, until final torque of plug.

I do full 12qt flush. Never had issue doing so. "IF" it did damage transmission, with all new fluid flush at once. Well, it's a bad transmission anyway. Rather find out now, rather than 500 miles from nowhere. I've flushed up to 350K miles in a 2000 LX470, without issue. If a transmission had particular bad looking, smelly and thick grimy fluid. Well one could do drain and fills to baby it. But I'd follow up with full flush.

In either full flush or drain & fill, with dip stick. I under fill ~1/2 qt, than top. This saves having to drain off some from overfilling.

Without dipstick, I overfill 1/4 qt, this is what FSM recommends and work well. This save from having to add more through fill plug, which is near exhaust (hot).

In hilly area or not, does not really matter. It's all about transmission fluid temp. FSM state operating temp through 2003. Driving up a hill, may raise temp of fluid. So let idle and transmission temp will drop. Just keep checking as it idles and you'll get feel for it.

When I use Mobil 1 ATF (in 98-02 only). I'll drive very hard and look for hills. Then check hot, than let idle and check again. It will be very near the same level both checks of level. Stuff is used by Dealership when transmission overheating is an issue.

Reactions: rvk
I just drove around Charleston for awhile, which is nothing but flat.
Parked the truck, let it idle for 5 minutes, and then checked the fluid level (while idling, in park).
The level was still about a cm over the high hot mark.
I attached a pic where I marked the level cut off.
I suppose tomorrow I'll drain some fluid via the drain plug.
It's a bummer that the Toyota dealership considers this okay.

3FDC0543-EF34-4141-8039-8A099C8BA6F2.jpeg

Last edited:
Just to confirm since I haven’t looked at mine yet... The two lower notches are for high/low cold and the two uppers are for high/low hot right?

Just to confirm since I haven’t looked at mine yet... The two lower notches are for high/low cold and the two uppers are for high/low hot right?
Yes.
I removed about a 1/2 of a quart yesterday. It brought my dipstick reading down to between the two hot lines. So a little goes a long way.

Did you have a different reading on the two sides of the dipstick? I just finished with filling mine and one side reads a little below the hot low level and the other side reads like way overfilled. I was thinking one side must be a false reading.

IMHO the higher is a false reading. I use the lower reading and recheck. Often times, fluid is in the dipstick tube and get up higher on the dip stick.

Surprisingly the level reads the same on both sides of my dipstick.
Thanks again for all the input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom