Transmission cover with a sm420. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm waiting to hear from him. I gotta say, like Jim @Downey stated about different engines, it would be very unlikely we mounted our V8 exactly the same. Even with a template, I think it would still be somewhat a gamble. I'd hate to be caught in the middle of dissatisfied customers. :(

I know what you mean. However, like I said, leave the shifter holes out of the equation (final end user makes holes to fit). Then get rough dimensions of the template needed. Sounds easier than it really is, but I don't think it would be that hard. Especially if I gave you dimensions of the large hole I have in my cover.

I would love to get one of them too. I have been running around the past 2 years without a cover. It turns into a blast furnace in the hot summer months. I installed a flexible heat shield that helped, but it needs a cover. Maybe he can make the cover without the shifter holes, then it would be more universal. I'm running a 350 V8 with stock Toy 4 spd and transfer. I do have an SM465 with split case and twin sticks sitting in the barn. Not sure if I want to swap them out because I love the way the Toy 4 spd shifts, but dang it is noisy, but a lower ratio would be cool. So actually, if you could get 2 covers without shifter holes, that would be awesome. Let me know what you can do. Thanks

View attachment 2283930

View attachment 2283931

You can get some heavy construction paper or thin card board and make a template of your opening and shifter holes and transfer that template to some sheet metal and cut and bend it to fit. You could also visit a local metal fab/welding shop to make a cover. I'd make it so it's held down with sheet metal screws, so it could be removed for access to the tranny without taking the interior apart. It would be difficult for someone to make something universal fit. There's to many variables to acct for.

I did not do the work, but here is what mine looks like. I'm running SM420, Orion twin-stick, 2F motor

1969_toyota_land_cruiser_fj40_1556468897ef66e7dff9f98764da69FJ40-57.jpg

1969_toyota_land_cruiser_fj40_1556469031f66e7dff9f98764da69FJ40-62.jpg

My plan was to find a cover that was rusted out in the usual places, cut the top section out, patch the existing holes and then make new holes. But then I saw what fjl40 had and I said I want that.:bounce:

You can get some heavy construction paper or thin card board and make a template of your opening and shifter holes and transfer that template to some sheet metal and cut and bend it to fit. You could also visit a local metal fab/welding shop to make a cover. I'd make it so it's held down with sheet metal screws, so it could be removed for access to the tranny without taking the interior apart. It would be difficult for someone to make something universal fit. There's to many variables to acct for.
I agree, if you find a shop locally, if they need the trans hump for any reason, you can bring it. I also used threaded rivets for a much cleaner look. It is a much more detailed fit than it looks.

I will stick to my original plan of finding a hump with a rusted out bottom, cut out a section big enough to cover my hole, fill the original holes and then make new holes for my shifters. Pretty simple really, just need to find someone that has a cover with a rusted out bottom. Thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom