Transmission cover with a sm420. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ksemerdjian

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm finishing up my sm420 conversion on my 71 40 series and I need to modify the transmission cover/hump so it will clear the now taller transmission and twin stick transfer case levers. I'm looking for ideas on which way to go about it so if you have swapped in a sm420 and feel like sharing pictures of your trans cover I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

When I did mine, I cut out a section on the passenger side for the twin stick. Then I just got some card board and started making a
"patch" piece that fit over the twin stick section. Next I made it it out of 16 gauge metal, and welded it in. The picture dosn't help much because I just installed this rubber stuff and I don't want to pull it out.....;)

thumbnail tunnel  mod.jpg

Not a SM420 but when I installed a H42 into my 68 FJ40 I used a 73-78 transmission cover and trimmed the back. It is a taller cover with more clearance. Not sure how a transmission shift cane would line up but the SM420 with adapter would be a out a 1/2" length of H42. Twin stick made for a four speed should be close to the transfer opening if running a F engine.

When I did mine, I cut out a section on the passenger side for the twin stick. Then I just got some card board and started making a
"patch" piece that fit over the twin stick section. Next I made it it out of 16 gauge metal, and welded it in. The picture dosn't help much because I just installed this rubber stuff and I don't want to pull it out.....;)

View attachment 2221767
Appreciate the response.

Not a SM420 but when I installed a H42 into my 68 FJ40 I used a 73-78 transmission cover and trimmed the back. It is a taller cover with more clearance. Not sure how a transmission shift cane would line up but the SM420 with adapter would be a out a 1/2" length of H42. Twin stick made for a four speed should be close to the transfer opening if running a F engine.
Didn't think about that...thanks.

Didn't think about that...thanks.

I did this over twenty five years ago transmission cover were a lot easier to find. But still a cleaner looking cover. With a little trimming at the back the 73-78 floor mats fits better than the earlier smaller transmission cover.

SM420 and twin stick. Big panel for easy access.

View attachment 2221897

Is the SM420 shifter that much forward compared to the Toyota transmissions or do you have a V8? Curious on the twin stick if the handles are always further back then the stock transfer lever? Three and four speed the lever is right beside the transmission shifter.

I had to bend the shift cane on my '73 F engine 40 with SM420, using the J30 shift cane.

The transmission casing fit okay under the floor-shift 3-speed hump. However, back then, there was an adapter plate (about 3/4" thick aluminum) that allowed the mating of the three-speed transfercase, so, it might be a bit different compared to other installs.

It was a long time ago, but I think that I remember the install correctly.

^^^^^Plus your will be different than his if you are 6 cyl. an he is V8 (different engine/tranny positions).

When I swapped in a sm420 in my ‘76 behind the 2F, I didn’t need to modify anything. I built the single stick transfer shifter to fit the original hole and the tranny fit fine where the H42 used to live.

I'll check in with him and see if the shop is operating at full capacity. I'll

see if he can make the bend without having the truck. This is not a one size fits all.

I would love to get one of them too. I have been running around the past 2 years without a cover. It turns into a blast furnace in the hot summer months. I installed a flexible heat shield that helped, but it needs a cover. Maybe he can make the cover without the shifter holes, then it would be more universal. I'm running a 350 V8 with stock Toy 4 spd and transfer. I do have an SM465 with split case and twin sticks sitting in the barn. Not sure if I want to swap them out because I love the way the Toy 4 spd shifts, but dang it is noisy, but a lower ratio would be cool. So actually, if you could get 2 covers without shifter holes, that would be awesome. Let me know what you can do. Thanks

FJ40 Trans.jpg

FJ40 Transfer.jpg

I'm waiting to hear from him. I gotta say, like Jim @Downey stated about different engines, it would be very unlikely we mounted our V8 exactly the same. Even with a template, I think it would still be somewhat a gamble. I'd hate to be caught in the middle of dissatisfied customers. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom