Transmission cooler leak? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

davidrh

SILVER Star
Threads
I was under the truck today tightening belts and cleaning up grime when I noticed that (what I think are) the transmission cooling lines on the left hand side are pretty soaked. I initially thought oil since I'm always chasing leaks, but after reading I think it may be transmission fluid.

Am I understanding correctly what I'm looking at? I searched but didn't find much mention of these being replaced or needing to be snugged. Any thoughts?

1996 LX450, 248K miles, OEM radiator replaced new in 2018. No puddles under the truck and no noticeable issues with shifting. It does labor above 10,000' or so when climbing, but seems fine at altitude otherwise.

Oil pump cover gasket was replaced in 2017ish, dizzy gasket a few years prior, upper & lower oil pans resealed last year. It does appear to have a decent oil leak from the cooler that I'm getting ready to tackle but I don't think that would be related this fluid way down in front.

20210104_151924.jpg

20210104_151906.jpg

You have a few different lines there in the pic. Trans cooler enter and exit bottom tank of radiator. The U shapes formed line is the Power steering high pressure line. My first guess would be ps fluid (ATF). I’d clean the reservoir and lines and watch for the source.

Thanks for that. I'll get back under there and see how clean I can get it.

That's typical grime from my experience on all my 80s. I have had to resort to spraying with Simnple Green almost daily for several days, followed by rinsing with a hose, to remove enough filth to do a decent inspection. IMHO, you really won't know where the crud came from until you clean it all off.

BTW, if you ever remove the radiator, for any reason, that's the time to really clean those lines and the frame in that area.

Looks more like your power steering hoses. Either the low pressure or high pressure line is leaking (you have the high press line in your photo).
possibly the ps pump needs a rebuild w new seals, it could drip down there.
common

Thanks. I'm suspecting those lines somewhere. PS pump was replaced with new OEM in 2018, so hopefully that's still good.

Looks like power steering HP line is leaking

Shoot, you want to see what mine looks like? Ive got atf fluid leaking from multiple spots, i see no leaks in your pictures.

@whaler - I know man - it's a journey. I see these guys on here with the pristine engines and I get jealous.

I'm just trying to keep this thing going until the drop-in electric conversion becomes more practical.

Think I might also have this leak.. going to do the oil pump gasket and belts soon. Will have to take a look when have stuff pulled out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom