Transmission Changes/Compatablility (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.crawlorado.com
Ok, Ive got an 89 4runner (First Gen)

It has a W56 Trans (According to the Vin Plate) and looks like this
transw56-a640.jpg

It is Whining in every gear but 4th, and my clutch is on its last leg after full throttle assaults on this wall :rolleyes:

IMG_0778.jpg

So what do i need to look for for a replacement? dose it need to just be a Top Shift Style Trans..

Marlin Shows alot of good info, but many versions of the W56
Rebuilt Complete | Marlin Crawler, Inc.

any 4cyl trans will bolt to any 20 22 22RE.

only slight snag you may have is the shifter location when its installed.

stay away from the L series, and the G58.

L series are old and weak, compared to the W, R and G52 and 54 series.

the G58 is chain drive transfer, you dont want that.

If you want cheap & H.D, I would put a V6 tranny in it. You'd have to either buy a conversion bell housing for it from Marlin or Toyota (Toyota may have stopped selling it by now, IDK), or find one off any turbo truck. I've had 3. So I wouldn't say they are impossible to find.

You'll get a chain driven TC with a lower Low 4 ratio than the gear TC if you get one from a V6 truck. And I've never herd of one failing, unless it was run dry. It's not gears, so I don't know just how strong it is. Marlin will also fix you up on converting the chain drive V6 tranny to a gear driven TC, AND putting the granny gear in it if you want.

If you can find one from a Turbo 4WD, it will already have a granny gear 1st, and the Gear Driven TC.

If you're like me and don't have a fabers license yet this may help if the tranny you put back in it is not the same size.

Downey Off-Road Motor Mounts

motormounts3.jpg

Last edited:
Your best bet is to get another W56-C/D/E trans (89-95).
Any other trans will work, but you will have to change the t-case also (even with a W56-A/B).

Also, any earlier series 4 cyl trans (Gxx, Lxx) is weaker.

The strongest 4 cyl trans would be the R151F from a 86-87 22TE, but will be very hard to find.

thanks for the info guys.. this is just a DD, I only wheel it on the easy trails.

So im looking for a Simple, Un-Bolt mine, Bolt in a New one sort of thing.. I dont want to have to mod the shifters, or get a different t-case..

Trevor

thanks for the info guys.. this is just a DD, I only wheel it on the easy trails.

So im looking for a Simple, Un-Bolt mine, Bolt in a New one sort of thing.. I dont want to have to mod the shifters, or get a different t-case..

Trevor

Then get another W56-C/D/E, that's it for a bolt-in replacement.

Can a Top Shift T-case be changed to work with a Forward shift Transmission?

Marlin has/had a kit to convert a forward shift to top shift, but never the other way.

And top shift cases are cheap and easy to find, waaay less than the cost of any conversion kit and labor would be.

Get a Marlin clutch if you don't want to be burning it up again...or a Centerforce if you don't mind a harsh clutch engagement.

Luk is a good brand that's been recommended to me in the past, but I went with a marlin clutch when I did mine.

If you mean can you put a top shift case onto a forward shift trans (G52) I don't think any mod is needed except to cover up the hole in the top of the trans where the t-case shifter would have gone...

I have had good luck changing a top shift t-case to a forward shift and back again. You just have to make sure that the shift rods are compatible with the transmission if using a forward shift. I had to do this conversion when swapped my marlin crawler from my 85 to my 95 truck.

Kurtis

OK, i have a Top Shift T-case.. 89 pickups would have had the forward shift, but the runners kept the old style!

If i put in a tranny with a Forward shift t-case how far dose this move my shifters inside my cab?

FWIW, I have been quite pleased with the LC Engineering Pro-street clutch that I put in my 85. It's very smooth and has a stock pedal feel. Difficult to tell if it will live up to it's claimed "holding power" (2x OEM) as I haven't really put it to the test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom