Transmission cast numbered stampings. Meaning? Decipher? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Efjayforty

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello, I am trying to figure out what theses numbers mean that are cast into the side of my 4 speed tranny case. Surely they mean something. I have another 4 speed with a different set of numbers. Thoughts?

F3A2D3BD-393D-4A78-BFFC-828C857CCEAF.jpeg

Could anyone post some of their numbers and build dates so that I could begin to decipher the stampings? The build date of this 40 is 6/78 and the numbers on the side of the tranny are 869. Now, l could think that the "8" stands for 78 and the "6' stands for 6th month. Not sure what the "9" would mean and if the "6" stands for the 6th month, then what would happen in November and December?

Thank you. Can anyone post some data for another two digit month build?

Thank you. Can anyone post some data for another two digit month build?
I am just curious, why are you trying to decipher these numbers?
I don't think there is any casting differences between years of vehicle or any parts compatibility issues across the years. (but I could be wrong :meh:)

I would like to be able to know if a transmission was likely to have been original to the vehicle. There are dates on the engine, xfer, carb, etc that that give some clues as to whether or not they may have been originally mated to the truck and I would like to know the same for the transmission. Thank you.

Could anyone post some of their numbers and build dates so that I could begin to decipher the stampings? The build date of this 40 is 6/78 and the numbers on the side of the tranny are 869. Now, l could think that the "8" stands for 78 and the "6' stands for 6th month. Not sure what the "9" would mean and if the "6" stands for the 6th month, then what would happen in November and December?
That number is a "Casting".. NOT a "stamping".. In other words, it was created when a "run" of parts were made.. (the metal poured!) I worked in a foundry one year (back when I was twenty-one).. Usually (NOT always) a number that is "cast in" during a pour has more to do with the foundry's location (if multiple casting locations are used), or is a "batch number" of the cast alloy (used to track "after cast" failures), etc. Any "date code" would be stamped. "Date stamp" locations and formats vary by company.
Charles 1974 FJ40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom