Transmission burnt out - need longterm storage for FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Reached a sad end the saga of issues that arose from a chevy engine conversion by Proffitts Cruisers, now out of business. A piece of debris was left in the transmission and when a thief stole the cruiser and abusively drove it the transmission burned out. We were hoping that our comprehensive coverage would cover the burnt transmission that didn't show any problems previously, but that found piece of debris sealed the fate of "Big Daddy 89", for now. We need to find a storage solution for a couple of years with the hope of then doing an electric conversion like the ones Electric GT are starting to experiment with.

Any recommendations for Bay Area affordable storage that won't actively exacerbate rust? Any recommendations for a bay area place to get a thorough body diagnosis on rust? When we took ownership of it in 2011 it had barely any rust but Proffitts left it sitting outside in the snow with no engine- before they found a replacement for it. It would cost $3200 to rebuild the transmission after the $1200 we're on the hook for for the teardown - I'd rather save rebuild $$ for an electric conversion down the road. Currently it's not drivable and we're thinking it will be towed to its (hopefully not final) resting place.

Sell it.
Paying for vehicle storage anywhere (even at a friend's) adds up fast. Don't get emotionally tied to a bunch of metal.
After your cruiser is out of sight & mind (but not your bank statement for monthly storage) the fantasy will fade. Store it for a year and you'll likely wish you hadn't.

Sell it.
Paying for vehicle storage anywhere (even at a friend's) adds up fast. Don't get emotionally tied to a bunch of metal.
After your cruiser is out of sight & mind (but not your bank statement for monthly storage) the fantasy will fade. Store it for a year and you'll likely wish you hadn't.

Was thinking the exact same thing. Unless you can find a free dry storage....even then...better off selling it and finding another layer of you still want one.

OSS is right, storage costs will add up unbelievably fast swallowing the value of your vehicle. Just look at how many people abandon crap on those 'Storage Treasure Hunt' shows ... Storage costs for a vehicle, unless left uncovered in a outdoor desert lot perhaps, could run over $100 a month... I recently looked into this (in the Los Angeles area) for a 13' trailer I have, and was shocked at the cost to have it anywhere within reasonable driving distance, even in an uncovered outdoor lot.

I have seen people ask on Craigslist looking to rent/sublet long-term storage in a homeowner's private garage... Usually for about $30-50/month. If you're dead set on it, might try there...

Good luck.

Thanks folks for the recommendations. The car belonged to my father (Hence the name Big Daddy) who died suddenly at age 60. Everytime I would sit in it felt like he had a presence with us. So I'd rather not sell it

Fix or replace the transmission and continue to drive it especially since it has a deep sentimental value to you. Each day that slips by is one less day to know your father's presence in the Cruiser.

What kind of transmission is in it? If one of the common chevy ones you might find one cheaper than a total cost of $4400 (that is the territory of the stock A440... Maybe find a replacement for cheaper and get some mud friends to come over and help with the install. If you have OME or similar lift there should be enough clearance. You could also consider a manual conversion which was already mentioned.

One more thing - call Valley Hybrids if you have not already done so and get their opinion on cost etc.

@BigDaddy89 your post is a little confusing, and I am not in the know, but a full electric conversion sounds a SH#TLOAD more expensive than simply fixing or replacing the current transmission...especially if it’s a regular GM trans.
Long term storage costs could easily go towards a current trans fix instead.
A full electric conversion would be one of the most extreme builds ever on Mud....any more info on this??

When we took ownership of it in 2011 it had barely any rust but Proffitts left it sitting outside in the snow with no engine-

sitting outside in the snow does not cause rigs to rust. most of the rigs in my area sit outside with no issues.

sitting outside in the snow does not cause rigs to rust. most of the rigs in my area sit outside with no issues.

You must live in a magical place. All my cars that sit outside in the snow rust. The brakes seize up. Lines corrode. Etc

hasn't looked like this in 2020 but in the past

DSCF1732.JPG

I don't live in CA, so have no recommendations for a storage unit. That truck sounds like it has some pretty special sentimental value. Sorry to hear of your fathers sudden passing. That stuff is not easy. Hope you are able to eventually get her back on the road and enjoy the memory of him. Good luck!

I agree with what many have already said, shell out some money now and get it back on the road and enjoy it. The storage fees will add up and surpass what it would have cost to fix the tranny within 2-3 years. Good luck.

You must live in a magical place. All my cars that sit outside in the snow rust. The brakes seize up. Lines corrode. Etc
MT vs VT is a whole 'nother level of humidity and ambient critters, though. I'd venture to guess there are a whole lot more old classics sitting in fields that are ableto be resurrected in MT and the other Rocky Mountain states than there are in New England.

Reached a sad end the saga of issues that arose from a chevy engine conversion by Proffitts Cruisers, now out of business. A piece of debris was left in the transmission and when a thief stole the cruiser and abusively drove it the transmission burned out. We were hoping that our comprehensive coverage would cover the burnt transmission that didn't show any problems previously, but that found piece of debris sealed the fate of "Big Daddy 89", for now. We need to find a storage solution for a couple of years with the hope of then doing an electric conversion like the ones Electric GT are starting to experiment with.

Any recommendations for Bay Area affordable storage that won't actively exacerbate rust? Any recommendations for a bay area place to get a thorough body diagnosis on rust? When we took ownership of it in 2011 it had barely any rust but Proffitts left it sitting outside in the snow with no engine- before they found a replacement for it. It would cost $3200 to rebuild the transmission after the $1200 we're on the hook for for the teardown - I'd rather save rebuild $$ for an electric conversion down the road. Currently it's not drivable and we're thinking it will be towed to its (hopefully not final) resting place.

little far but Kansas might have all of your storage and fixing problems..... just holler

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom