(Transition Complete!) Construction Zone: Hard Hat Required (SOA project pics) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

theferg

SILVER Star
Threads
After a looooong while of collecting all the parts and getting everything just so, the SOA has started. She was parked in Mike B's shop on Wednesday, and went under the wrench on Thursday. The front axle was off and un-built for a Friday night drive down to Cruiser Outfitters in SLC for axle cut-n-turn. Today the rear axle was removed and the parts of the frame that are reachable are getting wire wheeled, brushed or whatever it takes to get it a little cleaner and the old shock front shock towers were removed. Painted the front spring and shackle hangers and some of the frame. Had to save a spot for the new shock towers. Hung the front springs. Got tired. Came home. Thanks so far to Mike and Cody for the help and the shop space and Kurt W for the good chats, good info, and the cut-n-turn of course.

Mike B wrenchin' at the u-bolt nuts:

Re:Construction Zone: Hard Hat Required (SOA project pics)

Can't wait to see it, 60 and 62's with SOA look damn good. And you don;t have to deal with driveshaft angles. :flipoff2: :D
Hurry up damnit!

how much for the springs?

yeah?

So now you are giving out secret spy shots of my rig are ya? I knew I should have done a background check on you before I let your junk in the shop. Just kidding man, it will be nice to have it all done soon so there are no more late night trips to Sandy.

hey ferg, no more scraping bottom eh. yer gonna love it, hey did ya ever hook up with my son? about his 69?

Springs are for sale for $300. They are surface-rusty, but they're in good shape otherwise. The bushings are good, the shackles are included and are good too (though you will need 8 more bushings for the upper portion of all the shackles). You can have the shocks in that price as well if you want them, but the rears will do you no good as they were too long and have been bottoming out and one of them has no pressure left to it. :-\ PM me about them--I can get pics if you need.

Wheelie, we have made two trips down to SLC and one to Lehi and I keep forgetting to go by there and talk to him. I forgot all sorts of stuff I needed to do...after that two hour drive, my mind just goes blank for some reason. We have to go back down again today or tomorrow, so hopefully I will remember to go by there.

Here's the arms. They are stock arms, heat treated, bent, and cooled super slowly and somehow it keeps the integrity of the arms. They are from W at Over The Hill 4x4. He runs them on BIG Cruisers with BIG tires so they must be pretty strong. And I will only be runnin' puny little 35s anyways... Can't beat the price...even if they break in a month--which I am sure they won't. Obviously, I haven't mounted them yet, so I'll post back what I think. One thing I have noticed is that they are longer than your normal hi-steer arms, so the tie-rod will be a little more forward. When I talked to W, he was lookin' right at a 60 that has the treated/bent arms on and they have no problems with hitting springs or anything. We'll soon find out how the work for me... :D Oh, they are also re-tapered so that the rod can mount on the top of them. Also had to have the passenger side TRE re-tapered so that the draglink mounts to it's "other side".

Just got off work, tired, going to sleep, be back later.

-Ferg-

Did some more work. Mostly grinding, painting on the rear of the frame, but all the springs are now hung and waitin' for the axles. We tacked the perches on the axle to see how it fits under. Got the angle off the t-case output flange and angled the pinion the same degree (t-case 4* downwards, pinion 4* upwards) and tacked the perches at 0*. We'll see if the angles stay good after it's bolted up and set down (that's why they're just tacked on). Still wainting for front axle to get back. Anyway, here's some pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom