1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

transfercase

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by cruiser88, Aug 26, 2006.

1. cruiser88

cruiser88

Media:
    Albums:
    you very well laugh at me for this one:eek: ok what do you guys recommend for transfer case fluid for a 88 fj62.#2i have never seen any gearoil for a transfer case red they dont make any do they.:confused: dumped my transfer case fluid today and its red just had they tranfer case rebuild:mad: its not really thin .and my transmission is not low either.i remember adding almost 1 quart 2 months ago because i saw a cooler line leaking a little.sence fixed.any ideas.and also the trasfer case dont leak a drop.sorry to sound so 1st grade

2. cruiser88

cruiser88

Media:
    Albums:
    well im starting to beleive the guy that rebuild the transfer case used tranny fluid rather than gear oil.reson being the transmission stick dont smell like gear oil at all.if this is the case what kind of damage could this do.its only been 4 thouand miles or so.

3. cruiser88

cruiser88

Media:
    Albums:
  4. cruiser88

cruiser88

Media:
    Albums:
    oh i forgot to add there was no metal shavings at all:D

5. Mace

Mace rock scientist.. Staff Member s-Moderator

2 things, a lot of the new tranny's take ATF. So it would not suprise me if the monkey put ATF in your tcase.

The second thing is that the seals between the tranny and tcase might be bad. if they are, ATF will get into your tcase.

Personaly, I would fill the tcase with 90wt (or some multigrade gear oil) and then check it in a while.

If it has not been driven a long way since the cnversion to ATF you should be fine. s***, the inside of your tcase probably has not been that clean in a very long time :D

6. cruiser88

cruiser88

Media:
    Albums:
    ok mace that was my plan.and yea its clean:eek: i was worried about bearing damage more than anything.i hope thats what he done because there was not even a hint of gear oil in the dan thing.:mad: .we shall see let ya all know thanks mace

7. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew SILVER Star

Lots of USA t-cases are supposed to use ATF, so in WVa, the bubba who rebuilt your case likely didn't know any better. I think you are probably OK as well. Fill it up with 2.2 guarts of 80w-90 and drive it. If it turns red, then you are leaking from the tranny seal into the t-case.

8. cruiser88

cruiser88

Media:
    Albums:
    all is good no damage.:) i would have :crybaby: if so.i just sank 2 grand into that case

9. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew SILVER Star

Wow-curious as to how? The rebuilt kit is $200, what does the other $1800 get you? Was the tranny rebuilt at the same time?

10. cruiser88

cruiser88

Media:
    Albums:
    it was supposed to be a pro that did the rebuilt.he said it cost 800 bucks just for the parts he bought.plus labor.this guy when i rolled up to his shop said he would look at it,so i did left it overnight.then it was he wanted 300.00 dollars down just to tear it down so i payed.then it was stuck there and i was stuck .the rest is history.next dam time i will do it myself:mad:

11. cruiser88

cruiser88

Media:
    Albums:
    no tranny never got bothered really only seals and filter

12. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew SILVER Star

OK-good job anyway, you kept an old Cruiser on the road. But you're right, next time do it yourself. If I can do it, anyone can. As you are learning, there are very few people you can trust with your Cruiser.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">