Transfercase shifter question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My 78 does the same thing. I sourced the transfer case shift guide which prevents going H2 to 'L2' I guess? But the shift arm vibrated against the guide and drove me nuts so I removed the guide. Probably why it was removed in the first place.
Didn't ever seem to be a distinct neutral either.
Also my shifter is a couple inches further back than yours so going to 4wd it kind of bumps the back stop. Still haven't figured that one out...
Hopefully that helps and there's not two of us wildly wrong.

Shift gate is cut to allow 2low and 4 low. See the jagged edge on my gate is where most of us cut to allow 2wd low. Works great to hook a trailer or back in the garage etc

15963789719803297200331144467068.jpg

You are missing the guide plate that prevents you from going into low range until you are in 4WD. Some guys like the ability to use low range while still in 2WD (when pulling a heavy boat up a steep ramp where you don't have a traction problem would be one example), but you have to respect what you are doing when you do this because you will be doubling the power to the rear end gears.

You are missing the guide plate that prevents you from going into low range until you are in 4WD. Some guys like the ability to use low range while still in 2WD (when pulling a heavy boat up a steep ramp where you don't have a traction problem would be one example), but you have to respect what you are doing when you do this because you will be doubling the power to the rear end gears.
Got it, thank you. I wonder if I just missed that or it's lying around somewhere in the garage. I'll look back at my pictures to see if I ever had it on there before getting the trasmission/tcase rebuilt.

Any pics of what this looks like when installed?

Any pics of what this looks like when installed?

Here was my stock 1980 shift gate (without the shift lever installed) , before I removed it and converted to twin sticks:

Orion 007.JPG

I think this is the part you are looking for and what @Downey was referring to

IMG_3085.jpeg

I think this is the part you are looking for and what @Downey was referring to

View attachment 2393056
yes although mine looks more like the one from @1911 picture.
Here's mine.
1596559542917.png

I did get it installed without too much problem, but I did have to cut a little bit of the lip that sticks up off for some reason. It was always an issue before, but I never knew why I could not switch easily to L4. I really had to shove it toward passenger side, which now makes sense after I installed it. The shifter would hit when trying to go to L4, now after trimming it maybe half inch, it shifts nicely.
Thanks to everyone for helping me figure this part out.

2wd low is one of my favorite things the PO did to mine. Didn't realize it was just a matter of modifying the shift gate. Super convenient for when you are on a twisty trail and don't necessarily need 4wd you can pop it in 2wd low to control your speed to roll over stuff or descend a hill but then not put stress on the birfileds if you need to make a tight turn. And as others have mentioned makes towing or backing into tight spots easy especially driving onto a trailer.

2wd low is one of my favorite things the PO did to mine. Didn't realize it was just a matter of modifying the shift gate. Super convenient for when you are on a twisty trail and don't necessarily need 4wd you can pop it in 2wd low to control your speed to roll over stuff or descend a hill but then not put stress on the birfileds if you need to make a tight turn. And as others have mentioned makes towing or backing into tight spots easy especially driving onto a trailer.
well now I know it isn't very hard to do either if I want to do that in the future. I guess I don't want to be popping wheelies anytime soon :rofl:

I have twin sticks on one and on the others I just took the guards off. It's fun having shifters everywhere, but it does the same thing😛

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom