Transfercase Rear Output Shaft Seal( help!!!) (1 Viewer)

hi all,
theres a leak on my transfercase rear output shaft, i concluded that it was the rear shaft seal, shaft seal was already replaced yesterday and it did nothing to solve my problem, it leaks too much, specially when truck is in inclined position it pours oil.
thanks on any information i can get
stephen

Website
www.geocities.com
Also, silicone on splines/washer helped my remaining seepage after a new seal. Sounds like you're having more than seepage though--so Trollhole's suggestion is probably the main fix.

Before you pull the drum: check whether the leak is coming from the inside/bottom of the drum (seal) or the front/center/nut area (splines).

HTH. -Ed '70FJ40

Check the output for play(jup/down- side/side) if there is any you should rebuild the case or it will leak until you do.

thanks for all your inputs guys, what is meant by speedy sleeve by trollhole? im really new in 40's so i need more elaboration on that, anyway i check where the leak is coming out from, its from the buttom of the drum seal, is this where im going to put a sleeve on it?
thanks again, i will also try putting a silicone on the spline and also in the washer/nut
stephen

Website
www.birfield.com
Drain the xfer case
drop the rear DS (block the wheels)
remove the nut holdin the emergency brake (EB) on.
Remove the drum.
remove the EB backing plate
replace the seal
take drum to local (competent) auto parts place and ask about a "chicago rawhide speedy sleeve" to repair the grooved sealing surface on your EB drum.
re-assemble.
smile and drive!
PMK

spotcruiser

Geezer
SILVER Star
Follow the FSM. Don't forget to properly torque and then stake the nut holding the drum brake on.

I agree that he may need a speedi sleeve, but $33? at Specter plus $12.00 shipping when you can get the same thing at a local autoparts store for like $23.00? I have bought stuff from SOR, but not anything I could get close to home.

JMO

Ed

yzftaco

Goofy-Goober
So how do these Speedi Sleeves work? Do you have to grind the shaft down to place it over? OR Is the sleeve thin enough that you don't have to grind?

Thanks

yzftaco said:
So how do these Speedi Sleeves work? Do you have to grind the shaft down to place it over? OR Is the sleeve thin enough that you don't have to grind?

Thanks

I just take some 80 grit paper to it and make sure there are no burs, then pound it on using the tool. You can use some grease or RTV or dry AFAIK.
Usually not worth it on a flange, but definitely worth it on an ebrake drum.

GL

Ed

dont know if any of the links have this info (didnt look ) but napa has them too

www.napaonline.com just search for speedi sleeve

LC_Hamma

The Anti-Leafer
pygpen said:
All valid points....
There is also Mudrak's dual rear seal output housing.
That was the end of any problems for me.
PMK

X2
I tried the Speedy route, still leaked.
Tried using sealant on the inside & outside of the seal, no worky.
Gave up & called Mudrak.
Not one drop since!
Mudrak Improved!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom