Transfercase Oil Fill Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.billetriflesystems.com
Hello all,

Was going through my sister-in-law's 92 FJ80 last night and I wanted to check the level of oil in the transfercase. I pulled the fill plug and gear oil came rushing out of the fill.

My questions are this:

Is there something that has failed (seal/gasket/etc) that somehow maybe ATF is getting into tcase? Didn't look red at all...
Or, was there a way for someone prior to me putting my hands on it being able to overfill it?

I've been searching this forum for "transfercase overfull", "transfercase oil fill" etc but I'm not finding any other threads on this happening to anyone else other than FJ40 guys that have the transfercase pumping gear oil into transmission then using the equalization tube to get the gear oil back to the tcase.

Can anyone help steer me in the right direction? I drained the tcase and refilled from the fill whole. Anything i need to pay special attention to?

Thanks for any help!

Chris

Easy to do. Vehicle not level is one way, another is on purpose, because more is better, right? :bang:

A pump or squeeze or two extra with the nozzle in the fill hole and quick fingers installing the plug - done. Almost all manual transmission and t-cases I have drained / filled have been overfilled on customer cars.

Many shops have hand pumps on top of 5 or 20 gallon bulk gearlube containers (like I had). Again, a pump or two extra and quick fingers.

Hello all,

Was going through my sister-in-law's 92 FJ80 last night and I wanted to check the level of oil in the transfercase. I pulled the fill plug and gear oil came rushing out of the fill..........................
Gear oil is usually thicker than motor oil, so when you say "rushing out" was it also noticeably thinner than what you filled it with? Also how much overfilled would you "guess-to-mate" - a few pumps or quite a bit more?

Is the ATF level low in the transmission, has your sister had to add ATF to the transmission without an obvious external leak?

What did the oil smell/look like, red tinged, brown, ??

On FJ62 models with the A440F ATM you could get a mystery loss of ATF
when a seal between the transmission and transfer case leaked. ATF was pumped into the transfer case filling it up. Don't recall if that is possible
with a 92 FJ80 however.

Gear oil is usually thicker than motor oil, so when you say "rushing out" was it also noticeably thinner than what you filled it with? Also how much overfilled would you "guess-to-mate" - a few pumps or quite a bit more?
It seemed thinner but it was also warm and I wasn't the one that put the gear oil in there. This was the first i've put my hands on it.

Hard to tell as to how much 'extra' was in there. I pulled the fill plug and out it came, so back in the fill plug went very quickly! Hard to even guess how much extra there was but there certainly could have been just a 'few extra pumps'...

Is the ATF level low in the transmission, has your sister had to add ATF to the transmission without an obvious external leak?

What did the oil smell/look like, red tinged, brown, ??

On FJ62 models with the A440F ATM you could get a mystery loss of ATF
when a seal between the transmission and transfer case leaked. ATF was pumped into the transfer case filling it up. Don't recall if that is possible
with a 92 FJ80 however.
ATF fluid has been pretty stable from what the driver/owner/brother/sister-in-law tells me.

Oil looked pretty dark green. Didn't notice any red in it but then again it was under shop lighting at night and I didn't preserve it before it went into the recycling bin.

The issue with the A440F is exactly that I was worrying about but having no experience with these, i figured i'd ask the mud crew.

I'll have them drive it for a few weeks then check it again. I'll probably put the waste oil in a clear catch basin so i can look for reds etc.

Chris

Could always just drain and refill. Then no reason to wonder what is going on in there and you know it will be at the correct level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom