Transfer wont shift to 4-Lo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I can't seem to shift the transfer into 4 Lo.

I have read a couple of threads on this, which lead to me to try shifting it at the top of the case, but it would not shift over to Lo.

Tried removing the linkage (disconnected linkage from bracket on top of the pin that enters the case. Tried shifting it at the pin, tried shifting it while moving the pin up and down, but nothing. It won't budge.

There is a little play in the linkage like it is moving over but just can't get into that gear.

Also tried shifting into 4-lo at the stick while bumping the clutch, in 1st and reverse, but I can't get into 4-lo.

I have had an oil leak at the back of the case, at the idler shaft, for awhile, but I have never let the oil level get low.

Am I looking at transfer rebuild as my only option?

crawl under your 60 .. and move the fork manually, identify the pin that move the low fork and move it ..

here you can see the low fork ..

main.php

did you check the busing on the shifter mount? sometimes it dries up and siezes from lack of use
hope its something simple

IMG_3719.jpg

Tapage, like I said in the original post, I have located the pin on the top of the transfer case and have attempted to shift the fork manually by that pin, but it won't move the fork, I have tried. Thanks for the pic though, as it is nice to see what it looks like in there.

Lost, it is not the bushing at the shifter mount. I had disconnected the shifter linkage from the pin at the transfer case, before trying to shift it at the pin, so it is not a problem with the linkage or shifter. What exactly is that picture of?

It seems to be an internal problem. I am looking for a solution to fix it with out getting into the internals...anybody?

The nice thing is I have a spare rebuilt tranny from an 82 in the garage to study for reference before I climb under my rig.

in my pic, where you see the green grease is the bushing for the 4low shifter, mind you that is a a440 in the pic

OK, I thought that the shifter looked kinda like what I have, but everything it is mounted to is totally foreign to me. So the a440 is the auto trans fitted on 62s?

I am thinking of just ordering the t-case rebuild kit...and a OME lift and some 4.11 gears and 33 tires tomorrow, but ....I am drunk.

Haven't ordered a rebuild kit yet..or any other parts or tires. :D

I noticed reading some of the transfer rebuild posts mention to pay special attention to the hi/low selector when putting your transfer back together, I am wondering if a previous owner rebuilt the transfer put the selector in wrong and decided it wasn't worth it to re-do. :meh:

So should I drop the case and rebuild it or can I just split while in the rig, fix the selector and seal it back up?

It is faster to drop it and rebuild it on a bench. Makes it easy to work on and test when done. Plus when it is out that's a good time to change the seal between the trans and transfercase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom