Transfer shifter swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My cruiser has the vacuum assist transfer shifter. Looking to change to the direct shift to clean up engine compartment. If I do the change over, can I use the now vacant vacuum line on a power brake booster that will be installed? Pros or cons for transfer swap?

Your cruiesr, but I hate to see these old one modernized. There are so few of them left.
If I could only go back to 1991, I would leave my 71 FJ 40 just the way I found it.
3 on the tree, bench seat, and all.

Your cruiesr, but I hate to see these old one modernized. There are so few of them left.
If I could only go back to 1991, I would leave my 71 FJ 40 just the way I found it.
3 on the tree, bench seat, and all.
I get so much conflicting info/recommendation on what I should or should not do. My original intent was full original restoration. After being told by so many people that their was more future value with some modern technical updates. I want a daily driver that handle the highway also. I am sticking with stock motor, tranny and transfer case. I also want added safety for myself and family but will try keeping it consistent with standard fj40 offered features. I appreciate all the responses and advice I have received on this forum.

I am fairly certain that the floor shift transmission and TC were upgrade options on the original 40s. That is why both are so easy to put in. As far as saving space in the engine compartment, you will not save a whole lot of space. The vaccum lines for the TC are minimal.

I guess the advantage to going to a direct mechanical TC shift is that they are more reliable. Toyota did this in the 60s series and since. I could never get used to the 3 on the tree, so I switched to the floor.

I am not sure on what these changes do to future value. I'll will never get rid of my 40, so I guess it does not matter to me.

Down side to the transfer case floor shift is the tend to vibrate. Maintain the vacuum shift and they are reliable. Only removed mine when when switched to a four back in 94. Even though I missed my column shift. Going back now would be a pain even though I probably have all the parts somewhere. I ended up just buying a 70 FJ40 with the column shift transmission and vacuum shift transfer case. Not sure it was mentioned what year 40. Prior to the 68 model it would leave hole on the face of the dash. Also you look correct you would need the correct boots for the transmission hump. Believe someone was just selling the correct transfer floor shift for the three speed. Most four speed used a completely different shift setup. Only the three speed will work and most parts for the first four speed will work. The piece that replaces the vacuum diaphragm has to be from a three speed. If you decide to go thru with the floor shift and find the correct parts I have the correct transmission hump with hole in the stock location you can use for a pattern. I'm in the Phoenix area.

I presently have two (2) transfer-case 4WD floor shifters, complete with the lower chambers for 3 speed tranny mounting. One I got with no actual lever (had been cut off by po) so I welded-on a chrome plated shift lever that has an antique glass door knob. The other I just got in, have not cleaned or lubed it yet. It was missing the shift knob, so I tapped out an antique brass door knob to 8mm, polished the bitch, it screwed right onto the lever- - -now righteous curb appeal. Lemme know if you might have some interest, I believe these suckers are now going for about 350 bucks when 100% complete like mine ???

The one in the for sale section has dropped from $315 to $215. Includes the boot. Also has the correct shaped knob for the 73 it's from. Not sure if it has the pattern on the end. The 72 and earlier are a fat knob. I'll take a picture later of what it looks like for reference in this thread.

The one in the for sale section has dropped from $315 to $215. Includes the boot. Also has the correct shaped knob for the 73 it's from. Not sure if it has the pattern on the end. The 72 and earlier are a fat knob. I'll take a picture later of what it looks like for reference in this thread.
My cruiser is a 67 but I am sure it would work. After reading your earlier post, I may opt to keep what I have since it functions properly. Thank you for the advice and information.

My question is the reverse of the one originally asked here. My 1971 40 originally had the three on a tree shifting, but a po changed it to a floor shift, keeping the fully operational vacuum TC shifter. I would like to eventually go to a four speed (which I have along with the TC for it), but I would like to keep the vacuum shift for the TC. Can the vacuum system be retrofitted to a four speed TC in place of the mechanical system? And no, I haven't checked because I just came up with the question.

Don

My question is the reverse of the one originally asked here. My 1971 40 originally had the three on a tree shifting, but a po changed it to a floor shift, keeping the fully operational vacuum TC shifter. I would like to eventually go to a four speed (which I have along with the TC for it), but I would like to keep the vacuum shift for the TC. Can the vacuum system be retrofitted to a four speed TC in place of the mechanical system? And no, I haven't checked because I just came up with the question.

Don

Yes it can. The vacuum hose would need to be extended and rod for the high/low range. And possible a slight floor model for the vacuum diaphragm being further back.

Thank you! Good information for me to keep as I like the vacuum shift and the floor space it doesn't use.

Don

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom