Transfer shifter issues... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BreckenridgeCruiser

I break things.
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
teqtach.com
I just installed my H55F today and while everything went smoothly, I ran into a few issues and need a little help.

The truck is a 1981 BJ44 from Japan. It has a stock 2B and I removed a B series h41 and replaced it with a 40 series h55 transmission. EDIT: the tranny seems to be sitting a little high... could this be a cause?

Issue 1:

So the H55 went in beautifully, but the shifter linkage on the transfer case interferes with the transmission cover plate. Are there different shifter linkages? In 2HI it is barely touching the rear side of the cover, but I cannot shift into 4HI and 4LO with the plate installed. The transmission shifter is right on the money location wise, it is only the transfer shifter causing the issues. I removed an h41 with vacuum font engagement so the old stick only went forward and back. Not sure what to do next.

Issue 2:
Does anyone know what the three wires are for on what I assume is the FWD sensor on the transfer case are for? I have a 4wd indicator light in my switch, but it only has two wires... I'd love to hook it up, but am not sure about the three to two wires thing.

Thanks all!

Last edited:
About issue 1 Are you talking about the plate on the floor of your rig? If the h41 was a non spacer model you need to modify the sheet metal on the floor as the shifter is now about 3.5 inches farther back than it used to be. It may also need to be cut to allow you to move the shifter out for 4 low. Might as well make room for 2 low at the same time. If the new linkage has the bracket that prevents shifting into 2Low you can trim it off. Found the pics of the change I had to make to my wagon so I included those.

Had to do this when I switched a non spacer H42 for an H55 in my BJ60. If the issue is something else pics might help.

Afraid I can't help with the wires as my BJ didn't have a sensor for 4wd light so I just plugged the new tcase sensor hole.

Tony
Ghetto sheetmetal 002.JPG
Ghetto sheetmetal 006.JPG

Last edited:
To confirm... I swapped complete tranny transfers and not just the transmissions. There fore the h55 is a 40 series tranny and transfer complete. Would I still need to cut the shifter, or should I source different linkage?

Just trying to make sure we are talking about the same thing.... Full manual control tcases have a larger hole in the tranny cover/floor to account for the movement of the linkage.

If your h41 and tcase are the same length as your H55 and tcase set up this sounds like the problem.

But I suspect that your H41 did not have the spacer between it and the tcase so it will be shorter. Did you need to change driveshaft lengths? H55 set up will be 3 and a half inches longer even from a forty.

If your BJ44 was offered with an H55 (which I don't think was available in 81) you may have a hard time finding linkage. Someone else may know different

If its all a clearance problem with the floor sheetmetal, easiest solution is to modify the floorpan or tranny cover

Tony

Just trying to make sure we are talking about the same thing.... Full manual control tcases have a larger hole in the tranny cover/floor to account for the movement of the linkage.

If your h41 and tcase are the same length as your H55 and tcase set up this sounds like the problem.

But I suspect that your H41 did not have the spacer between it and the tcase so it will be shorter. Did you need to change driveshaft lengths? H55 set up will be 3 and a half inches longer even from a forty.

If your BJ44 was offered with an H55 (which I don't think was available in 81) you may have a hard time finding linkage. Someone else may know different

If its all a clearance problem with the floor sheetmetal, easiest solution is to modify the floorpan or tranny cover

Tony

I wonder if any 40-series got the H41/2 with the spacer? If so I'd imagine it'd have been trucks from model years where an H55 was an option - so I think that limits it to 1982-1984 only, but even then I'm not certain they had adopted the spacer yet. The EPC says "Not applicable" for it (aka "Transfer adapter") on a 1984 BJ42.

Regardless, I'm fairly certain his 1981 won't have the spacer.

You must have gotten a new shifter from somewhere since your original one was vacuum shift. So what do you have on there now, whatever came with the H55? Or from some other application?

Using the aforementioned 1984 BJ42 as an example, the p/ns for the small bits on the T/C shifter are all the same between the 4 and 5 speed, however the three "main" components all differ. That is the "guide" (which is the primary metal bracket that hangs on the transmission, the one you'd modify for the 2-LO mod - 36323‑60080 5spd, 36323‑60031 4spd) the "lever" which is the primary pivoting component that engages the 2wd-4wd selector (36337‑60060 5spd, 36337‑60040 4spd), and the "rod ass'y" which is the linkage to the hi-lo switch (36340‑60050 5spd, 36340‑60060 4spd).

Last edited:
I think I forgot to be clear about something. The linkage on the h55 and transfer were from the original 40 series donor. I am not trying to reuse the linkage from my old transfer.

I have a guess on what may be happening but need to get back to the truck later today and will post up if I am right... If I am I will feel really stupid.

I figured thats what you were going to do. Thought I remember you mentioning it in another post. Still think you may have to open up the floor pan a little. Let us know what you find.

Tony

Okay...

The transmission is in and ... noisy! I haven't re-installed the cover plate because of the shifter interference issue so I feel like Fred Flintstone and I definitely hear the transmission and engine through the hole. So after some more research I think I know what the deal is...

I think I have the shift lever from an FJ/BJ60 series transfer. The rest of the linkage is the same for the 40, but the shift lever is different.

So, can anyone with a stock BJ42 5 speed tell me if your transfer lever has one or two bends in it?

Okay...

so, can anyone with a stock BJ42 5 speed tell me if your transfer lever has one or two bends in it?

I'm not sure. I switched to a dual-stick tcase kit from orangefj45. It's nice having the option of 2WD low. I'd recommend this kit if you can't find the appropriate shifter. If you want the stock 40 series tcase shifters I think I have them in the garage still. I can dig them out if you need them.

I switched to a dual-stick tcase kit from orangefj45. It's nice having the option of 2WD low.

2Lo is easily done with the stock linkage.... Less than a minute with a sawzall on the bracket that prevents shifting to 2Lo.

Tony

I think I found it out.. I think I have the fj60 shift lever. I am ordering a 40 series lever and I hope that solves the issues. Rufus, If yours are for a 1981-1983 I love to get the shifter from you! I'll PM you!

NL, the thing is great. Drives smoothly, shifts well, but is LOUD! Oh yeah, maybe that's because I have no cover or boots on my shifters! :)

Once I get that shift lever, I hope I can seal it all up and enjoy the ride!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom