Transfer Seal (again) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so, i did a search on transfer seals and breathers, but came away a bit confused, so i'll ask myself:

on checking the fluids in my truck for the first time, i find the transfer box low, and the gearbox high. i figure i'll check again in a week and see what the results are then, but in the meantime:

-does this point to a transfer/gearbox seal problem?

-could a blocked breather on the transfer box lead to pressurisation and consequent pushing of the fluid into the gearbox and out the output seal?

- i read about the 'quick fix kit' with the external hose etc to the level plugs: where can i find this kit?

thanks for all answers,
mark
1983 BJ60
surrey, bc canada

A blocked breather could do it vacuum forcing fluid by the seal. Or the seal is bad. It's pretty easy to replace the split case seal. Or you could buy or make your own transfer hose.

Man-a-fre

All the ones I've done for customers were all bad seals
I've got a stack of them in stock and can tell/show you how to do it if you're willing to get dirty
it's good time to inspect the t-case/shaft/bearings etc

thanks for the replies.

i don't mind getting dirty, and enjoy fixing vehicles etc, but in this case i'm running up against the problem of time. i know the rear output seal is buggered, and also possibly the surface that the seal runs against requires a sleeve. i would also put in a decent breather, well out of the way of mud and sand . . . . . . those three jobs would probably take me the whole day, which i don't really have right now. luckily rainy days mean i quite often don't work, so that would be a good opportunity. but until then i think a 'quick fix' will have to do especially as i have a holiday in the truck coming up.

steve: i'll be sure to drop by and get your words of wisdom before tackling the main job

wes: thanks for the link. looks easy to fab up.

Steven,

Can this be done without removing the transmission, i mean just by removing the xfer only? Unfortunately, I've just found out that I have the same problem. I don't see paying $55.00 for the oil return kit, but would rather replace the seal.

Alex

FWIW. I run the xfer tube for insurance. I had my seal go out on my 40 and usually you don't know about it til it decides to lunch the case and take with it the trans output shaft.

How's the 70 running Alex?

Wes,

It runs and performs much better. Feels like its got more pep then before. Starts much easier. I am very happy with it. Now i am thinking about A/C, way too hot in KY. I checked Vintage Air and they have some new kits, something like Genereation II Mini (part# 66005) or Short Pack/Mini (part# 05000). What do you think?

Speaking of xfer tube. Did you get from Man-A-Fre or you made it yourself?

Alex

it can be done without removing the tranny
just remember this one important thing "if you don't want to drain the tranny, don't pull the idler shaft out of the front piece of case or remove the front half of the t-case"
it will cause a bit of a puddle.
having a solvent tank is nice to clean stuff up as well.

crushers said:
agreed, i just did one today... 3 hours from start to finish...
2 banana

Hats off to ya-Having just rebuilt a transfercase behind my H55, that's a lot of work in 3 hours, especially lining the shifter back up for the high low clutch fork while the rear case is over your head. It took me several days! :eek: Not to mention the thrust washer that wants to fall out and ruin your day. Did you have to remove the access panel in the tunnel to get at the shifter connection? That alone took me at least 1 hour. Did you have to change the output bearing preload? How much does a shop charge for the seal service? For a shade tree like me I'd give it :banana: :banana: :banana:

Cruiserdrew said:
Hats off to ya-Having just rebuilt a transfercase behind my H55, that's a lot of work in 3 hours, especially lining the shifter back up for the high low clutch fork while the rear case is over your head. It took me several days! :eek: Not to mention the thrust washer that wants to fall out and ruin your day. Did you have to remove the access panel in the tunnel to get at the shifter connection? That alone took me at least 1 hour. Did you have to change the output bearing preload? How much does a shop charge for the seal service? For a shade tree like me I'd give it :banana: :banana: :banana:

Well, crushers's hardly a shade tree--I'd imagine he's done a few (100)....;)

Mine's on my list, did the bypass for now.....

Cruiserdrew said:
what i do is bend the shifter linkage up a bit and that way you can leave it installed as you put the whole thing together. the preload is easy, try workingon the old 1 piece t/cases... can you say PITA? i really hated them. i just love working on the JDM trucks, so clean, so easy, no rusted bolts, usually no PO stripped bolts to deal with...
life doesn't get much better.
cheers

did my bypass today. here's the part numbers:

10-26711-08-08 and 10-1JH9-08-18-OG

with the hose, the total came to $40cdn or so and took five minutes to fit. the parts above don't require use of the original level plugs, so they can stashed away

Hydraulic Supply
(604) 533-8736 20575 Langley By-Pass
Langley, BC

(604) 882-3122 19358 96 Ave
Surrey, BC

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom