Transfer output leak after double seal - what am I doing wrong? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys - Had a leak in the speedo gear housing so pulled the e-brake and housing and re-sealed everything. While I was in there, I milled the lip inside the speedo housing and did the two seal trick. My reseal of the housing cured that leak but now I appear to be leaking out of the double sealed area around the e-brake drum. There is no groove when I run a fingernail across the flange and the seals are in a different place than stock so the explanation evades me. They are brand new seals from Cruiser Outfitters. Any ideas??

Here are a few pics:

Leak apparently coming from seal and dripping down:
Untitled by jeff elliott, on Flickr

Inside of drum clearly wet with 90w:

Two seals stacked and pressed in housing:

Did you machine the hole too big for a tight fit requiring the RTV?
No the rtv was between the speedo housing and the e-brake plate. I don’t know why I put it there - wasn’t thinking

You're not the first. Think the outcome below was a mess up machining the housing.

Starts at post #29

You're not the first. Think the outcome below was a mess up machining the housing.

Starts at post #29
Thanks for this!

@Mudrak - how do I make arrangements to get one of your properly machined housings?

thanks to all!

Also, now that I think about it, I didn’t put any grease on the seals before I put the drum back on. Could the friction have burned the seals enough to make it leak without them looking burned?

@orangefj45 sells the housings with a core charge. Not sure he'd want a machined core back though.

The oem seals come with grease in the channel so a good bet it's important.

Did you put a good amount of silicon based sealant on the shaft splines before putting the washer and nut back on?

Did you put a good amount of silicon based sealant on the shaft splines before putting the washer and nut back on?
The more likely culprit, speaking from experience.

I didn't do this when I installed a double seal housing a few months ago and so far so good. I read about it but thought that if the double seal housing is doing it's job then there shouldn't be any oil hitting the star washer.

I'm going to load two new OEM seals and ensure they are greased before I reinstall the hub and see what happens. If I had removed too much material when I milled the speedo housing (which wouldn't be possible since I used a mill where the shank diameter is the same as the cutter), the seals would be loose in the bore - they aren't.

We'll see and I'll report back - thanks guys for the adivce!

FYI, I did use silicon on the end of the output shaft (behind the washer) and it definitely didn't leak there

Looks like you did everything correctly. We machine the housing slightly shallower and stack two shallower seals in there. Never had an issue with this setup and we've sold well over 100 of them, have plenty in stock.

FWIW, we replace the bolts that atach the ebrake backing plate to the speedo housing with socket head cap screws ( Allen bolts ) . They're much more accessible that way and easy to remove/install.

Here to help.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers
Shop 209-475-8808

I didn't do this when I installed a double seal housing a few months ago and so far so good. I read about it but thought that if the double seal housing is doing it's job then there shouldn't be any oil hitting the star washer.

Sealing the splines has nothing to do with the shaft seals.

Sounds like the seals were dry and burned up a bit.

Last edited:
Thanks a ton @orangefj45 - if this plan doesn't sort it out I will be in the market for one of your housings!

Well, I thought I would report back. It would seem that the two new OEM seals solved the issue. I didn't do anything special - just pulled the recently installed seals (that I didn't grease) and drive two OEM seals back in. I've put 100 miles or so on it and no leaks so I'm going to call it solved.

Thanks to all for the great advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom