transfer idler shaft which o rings to use (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

hward1

87 fj60 / 95 fjz80
Threads
hey got the transfer case rebuild kit which o rings do you use -- they are 2 different sets of 2 that would work - but one of the sets are thicker which of the 2 do you use - thanks - also pulled the driveshaft apart to clean the splines of the driveshaft -- so now its in two pieces but i for got to mark them does it matter -- if i does now what do i do -- i did mark the yoke to the transfer case - thanks

Is this the SOR kit? If it is then likely the thinner, the shaft would not fit using the thicker ones in my case.

Set the yokes perpendicular to each other and you should be OK.

id use the thicker ones, they might be harder to install but will create a better seal, use a dead blow hammer.

I tried that first with mine, all it did was tear the o-rings.

rip in half tear? or some shavings,

when i did mine it was really tight fit; some little shaving came off from the tight fit, nothing that worried me...im no expert

rip in half tear? or some shavings,

when i did mine it was really tight fit; some little shaving came off from the tight fit, nothing that worried me...im no expert

Damaged them enough so the front one leaked, I had to rip the transfer apart again and replace them. I ended up ordering some OEM o-rings just to be sure, they were the thinner ones.

yeah, with o- rings, they don't need much pressure to seal- but if you score them, then they never will.
They're a different animal from gaskets...

t

I've only rebuilt 1 transfer, but worked with o-rings for years in my industry. The best thing you can do is match sizes with the ones you removed. The old ones may be have taken a set, but you should still be able to layout all the o-rings in your kit and select the ones closest in size to the old ones. On install, don't force it. Use a little grease and wiggle it in. TobyB is right, one little nic or cut and you'll have to replace it.

About the driveshaft, it has to be in phase and balance. Search this site for driveline phasing if you don't know what I mean. I think if you just assemble it with the grease nipples on the u-joints aligned you should be OK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom