Transfer case won’t shift high to low - stuck in low (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sloanstavern

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey guys I discovered an issue with my transfer case. It appears to be stuck i in low gear. Whether it is in four-wheel-drive or 2 Wheel Dr.

‘82, Non US FJ45, 4 speed

Up on the jackstands with the transmission in neutral and the T case in two wheel high I could rotate the rear tires at the rate of 1.75 driveshaft rotations per tire rotation. When I move the shift lever into low gear the ratio did not change. There is no resistance moving the shift lever left to right to go from four wheel high to four wheel low.

2 Wheel Dr. versus four-wheel-drive does exchange properly with the shift lever. The little bit of driving I’ve done on the vehicle the revs are insanely high indicating it’s stuck in low gear as well.

Full disclosure the last time I drove this 2 1/2 years ago I only put a few miles on it and I remember the revs were quite high but maybe not this bad. It appears something is not connected on the high low gear lever internally. I’m not optimistic I can access that without dropping it out of the vehicle but welcome any thoughts.

E13B62D8-CCFF-4158-A0AB-62E27CD4CBE2.jpeg
F98E037D-669F-465E-BB9D-E36167439179.jpeg
B099B9D2-8C71-4F3E-9BF0-4F0D573EC8E5.jpeg
9DE6A409-A503-4128-978A-D082F786AA1F.jpeg
296AD61B-706A-4991-B891-756A29F93394.jpeg

Last edited:
I probably should take my afternoon nap before I ask this question cuz I could be really tired and not in a full state of mind, but why do you think the drive shaft rotation rate would change when nothing downstream of it changed when shifting from high to low in the transfer case?

You need to have someone shift the transfer case lever and someone watch the linkage from underneath to make sure everything is tight and moving as it should.

I probably should take my afternoon nap before I ask this question cuz I could be really tired and not in a full state of mind, but why do you think the drive shaft rotation rate would change when nothing downstream of it changed when shifting from high to low in the transfer case?
That was a very polite way of saying I am a knucklehead😜

Just because it’s data doesn’t mean it’s good data……..👍

You need to have someone shift the transfer case lever and someone watch the linkage from underneath to make sure everything is tight and moving as it should.
Thanks, I am able to move that by hand and while it rotates the shaft nothings happening internally

First thing take the inspection cover off and verify the high, neutral, low lever is moving.
I pulled off the inspection cover after I drained the fluid in the biz visibility is limited not really sure what I’m looking for here’s the best shot I could get of the far end of the transfer case.

The shift linkage is rotating the hi-lo neutral arm but it doesn’t appear that anything is happening inside the transfer case.

The 4wd-2wd functions properly
05504C72-8DA3-4E11-A81D-CBFC62232C8D.jpeg

I pulled off the inspection cover after I drained the fluid in the biz visibility is limited not really sure what I’m looking for here’s the best shot I could get of the far end of the transfer case.

The shift linkage is rotating the hi-lo neutral arm but it doesn’t appear that anything is happening inside the transfer case.

The 4wd-2wd functions properly View attachment 2947321

In your photo you can see the notch in the shift fork. The H-L shift linkage has dropped too low to engage this notch. You probably need a washer on the outside of the case to pull the shift linkage higher so that it will engage the shift fork. You may be able to accomplish this without splitting the t-case.

In your photo you can see the notch in the shift fork. The H-L shift linkage has dropped too low to engage this notch. You probably need a washer on the outside of the case to pull the shift linkage higher so that it will engage the shift fork. You may be able to accomplish this without splitting the t-case.
Perfect timing, I just came in from playing around with it and discovered the same thing I wedged the control arm up so that the pin was engaged and was able to change gears, what a relief it looks like I only need a quarter inch or so of spacing and I can access the control arm reasonably well thank you so much for the confirmation I’ll give it a shot .

BTW- that access window was not designed for a near sighted guy with a size 8 melon that’s a tight fit…….😜

The 4wd-2wd functions properly View attachment 2947321

I was talking about the inspection cover in the transmission hump. The one on the side of the transfer case is to install a PTO. I have never torn a split transfer case down even though I have a few. The fork for the collar to shift between high and low appears to be harder to install. One piece transfer case there is a plate on the top of transfer case. If the fork is off on a split case may require a tear down to install it right.

I was talking about the inspection cover in the transmission hump. The one on the side of the transfer case is to install a PTO. I have never torn a split transfer case down even though I have a few. The fork for the collar to shift between high and low appears to be harder to install. One piece transfer case there is a plate on the top of transfer case. If the fork is off on a split case may require a tear down to install it right.
Got it thank you, this tub does not have a full transmission hump cover it’s the small access panel I didn’t take that apart yet that might make things simpler.

I can access the external pivot arm and slip some washers underneath it what should solve the problem however if I see this correctly it looks like that internal arm could drop into the transfer once I disconnect the pivot arm. Is that correct?

From this photo I know I couldn’t access the top through the transmission hump port and they’re also it’s not a inspection panel from that side
7AA54C1E-B478-44CF-B7E4-D38FE4CEF093.png

I can access the external pivot arm and slip some washers underneath it what should solve the problem however if I see this correctly it looks like that internal arm could drop into the transfer once I disconnect the pivot arm. Is that correct?

This is correct that once you disconnect the linkage that the internal shift arm could drop into the case. If that happens you may be able to lift it out with a magnet, add a washer, and reconnect. Otherwise the rear the t-case needs to come off.

as preventative from the arm dropping into the case, use a long bar or similar and wedge underneath the arm thru the pto cover, where you took the pic above.

Show a washer above the seal which puts it on the outside. Part number 94612-11300. Should be easy enough to do. Just be sure the lever is in the collar when you install it. Think you will find the tunnel inspection cover off will make it easier to get at. If you have rebuilt the transfer case would install a new seal while your it.

My High/Low lever has dropped into the transfer case. I have tried pulling it back out with a strong magnet without success. I have tried poking around through the inspection cover without success. How screwed am I? Has anyone had success using a lever to push it back up?
Edit: I should mention I'm working on an '86 FJ60

Last edited:
My High/Low lever has dropped into the transfer case. I have tried pulling it back out with a strong magnet without success. I have tried poking around through the inspection cover without success. How screwed am I? Has anyone had success using a lever to push it back up?
Edit: I should mention I'm working on an '86 FJ60

Hi @Ernboto - what was your final resolution... I have been having the exact same issue.

I ended up stripping the whole HL and the 2-4 shifting mechanisms on the side of a river in the middle of rural Transkei in South Africa. I discovered I could shift the lever upwards by hand to engage the ball bearing and shift sidewards out of Low range by hand from under the vehicle...

but its a pain in the ass and sometimes it needs help from a second person in the vehicle to jiggle the shifter around to line up the ballbearing while I try push it upwards to reseat it from under the car (sometimes a challenging task with a hot exhaust pipe in the way burning your forearms)

So I have just been fixing it manually, but it makes me second guess if I need low range every time I use it.

Need to make this fix myself. So any tips are helpful :). Pics of where you added a washer would be helpful, and any tips to avoid the pin falling into the box.

You should be able to find some type of tool/device to reach the selector from the side inspection cover. At least from this pic it looks to have direct access (with something long enough).
IMG_1664.jpeg

One of the cases I built last year a good friend kindly pointed out that I forgot to install the washer :). Unfortunately I had just loaded the case/trans under the 60. So I dropped the trans crossmember about 6” and tacked a metal hanger to the top of the selector. Gave me the room and ability to keep it from dropping while I corrected the washer scenario. You can see the washer as well after putting it back in
IMG_7451.jpeg

Hi @Ernboto - what was your final resolution... I have been having the exact same issue.

I ended up stripping the whole HL and the 2-4 shifting mechanisms on the side of a river in the middle of rural Transkei in South Africa. I discovered I could shift the lever upwards by hand to engage the ball bearing and shift sidewards out of Low range by hand from under the vehicle...

but its a pain in the ass and sometimes it needs help from a second person in the vehicle to jiggle the shifter around to line up the ballbearing while I try push it upwards to reseat it from under the car (sometimes a challenging task with a hot exhaust pipe in the way burning your forearms)

So I have just been fixing it manually, but it makes me second guess if I need low range every time I use it.

Need to make this fix myself. So any tips are helpful :). Pics of where you added a washer would be helpful, and any tips to avoid the pin falling into the box.
I detailed what I did on my build thread, click here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom