Transfer Case Whine? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 68 FJ40 has a TH400 and original 3 speed Transfer case.

I've only put about 300 miles on it since the conversion and it seems that I have developed a whine in the transfer case.

A Toyota guy did the adapter work and then I installed in the vehicle. He said the transfer case was in good shape and only put bearings and seals in it when he did the adapter work.

It's full of oil and works fine in all ranges.

Is there anything I can do to inspect the internals before I pull the case? Can I tell much by looking in the PTO cover?

Thanks,
Paul

The whine may not even be a problem, if it's really that bad maybe you should take it back to the guy who did the work and have him listen to it before you pull it apart.

I'd take it back but that work was done 10 years ago!!

I got busy today and drained the oil from the TC. It looked OK.
I also took a small magnet and didn't find anything in the oil, which is a good thing.
I filled it with new oil and it still whines. It on;y does it under load. When I let of the gas it pretty much quits.

I'm thinking it might be the rear end, so tomorrow I'll drop the rear driveshaft and see if the noise goes away when running off the front axle only/
The rear end is all original...35+ years old , so it may be the culprit.

Thanks,
Paul

I had rear-end whine, this was before I knew anything so i took it to the family mechanic, he tightened up the rear end and all the bolts on the driveshaft, u-joint etc and the whine went away. I think also related to deficiency of oil in rear diff. No more whine 3 months later, just lotsa slop. (Needs new gears)

i found i noticed the whine of the mud terrrains.. the rear end.. and the tcas at certain speeds once i got the 700r auto because it is so much quieter in the cab than it ever was with the sm420 or sm465.. my tcase whine is from 35 to 40 mph only.. so i live with it.. and its been years

My 69 tcase whines like a banshee- It had a steady leak from the rear (replaced the seal, but output gasket must be bad) so it ran a little dry... Oops. But now I can't drive it over 45mph for too long, or my ears will be ringing for a while.

I just picked up a new tcase for $60 (missing a couple things) but I am going to get that one polished up, and hopefully that should take care of the whine. If not- then I'm just going to have to go with a centered rear output....
Zipp.

Thanks for all the input.

Like I said, I pulled the rear driveshaft and took it for a spin in front wheel drive and all lot of the whine was gone.
Upon further inspection, I noticed the pinion flange nut was not tight, even though it had a cotter pin it.
I pulled the pin, torqued it up to spec. The rear end seems smooth now with not hardly any slop.
I replaced the driveshaft and went for another spin and it's a lot better.Probably a good thing I found the loose nut. The lack of pinion bearing preload must have been the problem.
Guess I'll just have to live with it, though it is tolerable now.
My 12 year old said "Dad, if you put in a real kick-butt stereo and play it real loud you won't hear the noise"
He may have a good idea there.
Thanks,
Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom