Transfer case went out a day after timing belt replaced!?! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

My 01 LX470 with 200k miles has given me a bit of trouble this week. The fan clutch bracket went bad, so I decided to replace the timing belt, water pump, along with the fan clutch. I thought I would be good to go mechanically for a while. The very next day my wife was driving it and it broke down in an intersection. I towed it back to the same mechanic and he said the transfer case went bad. He is recommending installing a used transfer case with 100k miles on it.

Two questions:
Is there any reason to believe the mechanic improperly installed timing belt etc. to cause the transfer case to go out?

Is installing a used transfer case a good or bad solution when trying to maintain a reliable car without breaking the bank?

Thanks in advance!

Well... fortunately this happened shortly before I was going to 'go through' the front end anyway.

But yes, copious amounts of money were bled from my wallet.

I opted to replace/refurbish everything....and I do mean everything.

There were components that were still good.....but since I was already deep into the project, just replaced them all.

I'm retired and had the time.

View attachment 2611669
View attachment 2611671

wow, I would really love to do this but would hate doing it all at the same time haha. you're probably good for the rest of the life of the truck now.

Although I guess the only bad part would be that rack.

wow, I would really love to do this but would hate doing it all at the same time haha. you're probably good for the rest of the life of the truck now.

Although I guess the only bad part would be that rack.

No....the bad part is the bushings (if you do them yourself, which I did).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom