Transfer case vibration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently purchased a '00 LX470. When accelerating, especially uphill, there is a vibration that seems to come from the transfercase. This creates an buzzing noise. I can feel the vibration in the H/N/L shift lever, and when I hold the lever the sound is attenuated a bit.

I read about a problem with similar description in a a technical service bulletin. According to this bulletin, the solution is to replace the complete transfer case! My dealer confirmed this. However, they are a not sure this is the only type of problem that would cause this buzzing noise. Before replacing the complete transfer case (under warranty), they are investigating other causes.

Did anyone here have a similar problem? How was it solved?

Thanks.

The H/N/L shifter lever has always vibrated since I purchased my '99 with 38k miles. I usually put my cell phone on one side of the lever and my XM remote on the other side. Sometimes I get a loud vibration because one of the items will touch the lever. I thought it was normal for the lever to vibrate.

Mine as well on both 100's I have owned.

check the big thread on buzzy 80s for comparison.
I'd be amazed it they change the Tcase for that, but good for you (if it's a new one they put in)

How many miles, what service history do you have. has the u-joints been checked? The t-case is gear driven and does have some type of gear train buzz( bugs some more than others). If you feel this in the seat of your pants or through the steering wheel or the body, you may have a real problem, not one of coming from you coming from different vechicle. You may want to search out anther poster close to you before you start exchangeing t-cases at your expence. good luck and welcome to this area. later robbie

It has 84k-km now (52k). I took it to the dealer and they concluded that the transfer case was causing the vibration. It was always dealer maintained, and I have all the records.

It is not really the vibration that is bugging me, but more the buzzing/ticking sound it makes. Since there is a Lexus serice bulletin and it is covered under warranty, why not fix it? It would be replaced by a new one ($5k).

If they are willing to replace it free then by all means get it replaced. Asked them what they do with the old one's. Good luck robbie

Holy crap! My '99 is at the dealer right now with the exact same symptoms. They've had it for over half a day but I haven't heard back from them. No warranty for me and if I have to replace the transfer case I'm going to freak out. I get some buzzing noise at 1200 and 1800 rpms. I hope everything works out for you.

I notice a little buzzing sound when first started in the morning (stereo off) but it goes away after everything gets to operating temps. If I have the stereo turned up I don't noise it. I also notice a lot of squeaks from cold plastic parts and leather rubbing, but again when everything gets warmed up all is quiet.

There is a TSB for LX and L/C from 98-00. It is the dealers discretion on whether or not they replace the T-case or not. The bulletin has been revised about 3 or 4 times since the first one. If I remember right there were 2 updated shifters then a new updated gear in the case and finally the fix was new (3rd gen) shifter, high speed output gear inside case and center diff case, also inside t-case. I've done quite a few and to do all of these you pretty much have to o/h the t-case. My suggestion - under warranty have them replace or rebuild. If it is out of warranty and it was my rig - you can usually reduce the noise 50-75% by installing the updated shifter and putting a small amount of preload on it to reduce the vibration.
hope this helps. :D

My 01 didn't have a problem with the transfer case until we got it back from the dealer the last time. We had it in trying to figure out a clunking sound when making left turns. They couldn't find anything & we got it back with a rattle in the transfer case shifter. It doesn't bother me, but it drives the wife crazy. I told her to just turn the stereo up to cover the noise.

LEXUSBEN said:
My suggestion - under warranty have them replace or rebuild. If it is out of warranty and it was my rig - you can usually reduce the noise 50-75% by installing the updated shifter and putting a small amount of preload on it to reduce the vibration.
It's nice to have a Lexus Mechanic on board.:cheers:

LEXUSBEN said:
There is a TSB for LX and L/C from 98-00. It is the dealers discretion on whether or not they replace the T-case or not. The bulletin has been revised about 3 or 4 times since the first one. If I remember right there were 2 updated shifters then a new updated gear in the case and finally the fix was new (3rd gen) shifter, high speed output gear inside case and center diff case, also inside t-case. I've done quite a few and to do all of these you pretty much have to o/h the t-case. My suggestion - under warranty have them replace or rebuild. If it is out of warranty and it was my rig - you can usually reduce the noise 50-75% by installing the updated shifter and putting a small amount of preload on it to reduce the vibration.

My dealer has decided on replacing the transfer case based on this TSB. They are still waiting for the parts, but I'll post my findings, after it has been replaced. It is pretty anoying, especially when driving without the radio on.

Here is the update:

The dealer did the work as outlined in the TSB. Looking at the transfer case I think they rebuilt it. The vibration is completely gone. There is no buzzing/ticking anymore. The transfer case shifter now has less vibration than the transmission shifter. Kudos to Heffner Lexus Toyota (Kitchener, ON)!

I would guess they swapped a rebuilt unit in. Glad this worked out for you. I guess there is something to be said for Lexus service after all!

I Got Buzzing Too!

Hey everyone,

My first post here and its regarding the buzz. I've noticed that the TSB mentions 98-00, but mine is an '02 and it has the exact same symptoms mentioned in the previous TSB all the way down to the HNL lever vibrating. My bumper to bumper is expired, but I still have factory powertrain and Toyota Gold extended warranty. My only issue before I go to the dealer is that I bought this car off Ebay and as luck has it no previous records came with the car. The car is mint without doubt and obviously the previous owner took care of her, but do you think I'll get the jib when I go to the dealer? Just looking for ammo, cuz honestly I'm not a good complainer. ....just never was.

2002 LC
52000 miles
Buzzing between 0-50 on accleration and then at 70 mph after that constant.

Thanks for reading

Duke

Resonance? Does the noise go away when you grab the shifter or the boot?

How could I get the link or insights on the TSB...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom