Transfer Case? Transmission? Where to begin...97 LX450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1997 Lexus LX450...

Yesterday, after heading back to Tucson from SW Colorado, climbing a hill, there was a loud crack and a bang, sounded like a rock came off the hill and hit a couple of things underneath (not an actual rock in this case), and following, I couldn't drive faster than 50-55, and there's a whizzing sound when pressing the accelerator and transmission is not grabbing hold very well in lower gears and non-existent for higher.

Figured I'd give a bit of a history for those of you whizzes on here as it may help paint a picture of where I need to start in diagnosing. Last fall, I drove on a beach in 4H, and the A/T Temp Oil came on, shortly after the A/T oil actually caught fire. Following that, I paid to have the transmission oil flushed. I noticed following that flush that the A/T Temp Oil would run hot, more so when using the center diff lock button in 4H, (as well as in 4L as evident this past week). It also seemed to run hot a few times when using lower gears downhill.

I've never dove into the driveline, other than new U Joints a couple of years ago.

So, it's quite possible it's a transmission issue, but also wondering if it could be the transfer case vs. the transmission, and thought I'd throw it out there with the symptoms if anyone feels they can help identify where I should start diagnosing.

Thanks!

Last edited:
shortly after the A/T oil actually caught fire.
1629570135616.gif

The t case is pretty tough and simple. If the truck will move even at 10 mph. Go see if it works normally in low and high from the t case. If both work and the lever moves smoothly I would guess it is the trans.

You gave no details on the vehicle in question.
Possibly as simple as a front drive flange.

Maybe drive flange 'too' but when transmission fluid catches fire and you have the A/T temp light on....something is amiss with the tranny.

Maybe drive flange 'too' but when transmission fluid catches fire and you have the A/T temp light on....something is amiss with the tranny.
I assumed that the fire was in the past the and the op was not driving a flaming 80 at the time.
I could be wrong..
He should post the VIN so I know to cross that one off the list.

Last edited:
only way I had it come close was on a 86 truck with an auto trans the vent on top was clogged up and back pressure pust the auto trans fuild out the dips stick onto the exhaust, hell all they did was smoke. You would have to get it HOT HOT HOT for it to burn.Wondering if he just burnt the fluid, Not actual flame?

Doubt the transmission would even be functioning at this point:

7D4FE1D0-E45A-4797-BD01-BEFBD7D258E9.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom