Transfer case stuck locked (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My newish to me 97 CDL is stuck in Lock. I did the 7 pin mod, installed factory CDL switch a few months ago. Everything functioned normally, but it was always slow/ fickle to unlock. Now its stuck. Tried all the tricks, backing up in s turn, back up put in N, jacked up. I can hear the relay click and the actuator run. Pulled diff lock actuator because research on here made me think something had broken inside. It looks great, springs intact, motor is good, runs back and forth with a 9 volt fine. My question now is with all 4 wheels off the ground while rocking a drive shaft back and forth should I be able to turn the lock gear and move the shift fork by hand?? Cause I can't. Has anyone made a tool to be able to attach a ratchet to the gear and lock/unlock to free up the shift fork? I'm not wanting to drop the case but it seems like that is my next step. Its not a major issue because I have my 91fj80 to drive but I was planning on cleaning it up for sale soon. Thanks.

Have you considered a seized up viscous coupler? If you have confirmed proper function of the CDL actuator, why would the transfer case remain locked in 4wd?

I had not thought of that. It still indicates lock on the dash and they are locked front and rear when I spin the driveshafts so I assume the shift fork is engaged and bound or something. The rig was sitting for 2 years when I got it. Figured it would loosen up after a few uses but it got worse.

If you leave the driven gear in the transfer case after you remove the actuator, you should be able to rotate it by hand to lock/unlock the center. However, if there is any binding or tension in the driveline this will not work. Transfer case should be in neutral, no load on the driveline.
If you heard the motor running while installed on the case, then I would check the splines on the output shaft of the actuator that mate with the tiny drive gear. The drive gear is removable with a small "C" clip.

Last edited:
Apparently my VC fully seized up some time while cruising around on some dirt roads. Then when I locked in the CDL before going into the sand it was able to lock but only under severe tension. I have removed the VC and now everything seems to work correctly. For the life of me I can not find the torque value for the transfer assembly to the transmission in the FSM. Can Anyone help me out. Thanks.

The torque specs on page 81 of the auto trans section of the fsm calls for 53lbft on the trans to engine bolts with 17mm head and 27lbft for bolts with 14mm head.

Mine are 17mm at both locations.

The torque specs on page 81 of the auto trans section of the fsm calls for 53lbft on the trans to engine bolts with 17mm head and 27lbft for bolts with 14mm head.

Mine are 17mm at both locations.

Apparently my VC fully seized up some time while cruising around on some dirt roads. Then when I locked in the CDL before going into the sand it was able to lock but only under severe tension. I have removed the VC and now everything seems to work correctly. For the life of me I can not find the torque value for the transfer assembly to the transmission in the FSM. Can Anyone help me out. Thanks.
new guy question.. when you say the VC locked up, what is the VC?

Thanks
Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom