Transfer case stuck in 4WD ! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I could use some advice! I was playing with the 62 yesterday and the transfer case stuck in 4 WD, this has never happened before. Normally when you push the button the light goes out and we are back in 2 WD. I ran it through both 4 low and 4 high with the hubs locked and unlocked, on road, off road, forwards and back. The transfer case has fluid and the wires seem to be connected. What am I doing wrong here? Has this happened to anyone else with a FJ 62?:bang:

It may not help if yours is vacuum operated, but that used to happen to me on my old 60, crud on the lever, there was a compound linkage. IIRC, I removed the lever from the shaft, cleaned it and regreased the shaft and it went OK after that. Look underneath to look at the lever, that would be the first thing I'd check.

Very common problem. One of your solenoids on the firewall has finally failed. It happened to me twice when I had a '62. There's been several threads here about it. Look for the pair of solenoids on the passenger side. Swap the vacuum lines, it will pop out of 4WD. Then bend over and get ready to find out how much those things are to replace.

Thanks for the information guys ! I have the FSM, will the solenoid location be listed in there? What side of the firewall will they be on? I hope those things are not to outragous since I will most likely be selling this thing!

They are outragous but I think you can still buy a solenoid from another Toyota vehicle and replace just the solenoid that is bad. Search for the thread with the part numbers of the solenoid.

Thanks, I will do exactly that! I did located the solenoids, swithed the vac lines and it worked as advertised! This site has saved me countless hours of troulbe shooting and money. Thanks again for the rapid response to my little fiasco. Fun how most issues with 62s are simple fixes.

... And I learned something today :cool:

before you go out buying an expensive solenoid, check the hard(metal) line that run between the solenoid and the transfer case, some times they rust open little holes which will cause the 4hi not to operate. you can use vacuum line or wiper fluid line to replace/patch the hard line. cheap fix if this is your problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom