transfer case shifter location

K

KS

Where would the transfer shifter come out of the floor with a sbc350/turbo 350 with a downey one inch adapter. Iam going sbc350 in my 72 FJ40. I already have the Downey adapter and 350 trans,but I also have a SM465 trans, but no adapter. Which trans should I use. I will be doing more everyday driving than off roading and no rock climbing. Thanks for any info.

Pin_Head

Pin_Head

It can come out anywhere you want if you make your own linkage. :D

AA sells a twin stick shifter for a variety of transmissions and they seem to use the original opening location.

Paul_A

Paul_A

I run a sbc305/turbo350 and the length of the automatic transmission moves everything back about 4 inches. My transfer case shifter is now relocated about 4 inches straight back from its original location. I had to cover the old hole, cut a new one, and fabricate a new trim panal with a shift boot. It was not all that hard--especially if you take out the tranny hump during the conversion.

Gus

Gus

SILVER Star
Go with the SM465, it's a stout trans and tons of people have done this conversion in cruisers, thus getting help should be pretty easy. My first cruiser had a 350/TH400, that trans was nothing but a headache until it died. Just my two cents.

CruisinGA

CruisinGA

[quote author=Pin_Head link=board=1;threadid=8097;start=msg68554#msg68554 date=1069909672]

It can come out anywhere you want if you make your own linkage. :D

AA sells a twin stick shifter for a variety of transmissions and they seem to use the original opening location.
[/quote]
Where does your SM420 adapter stick out PH? Haven't had time to install yours yet and see for myself. :D