Transfer Case Seal or Spline Leak? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1972 -40 with a 1979 4 speed tranny. I have had a drip under the e-brake even after I had the tranny re-done with new gaskets etc... I have read quite a few threads here on Mud about this issue but I am not still not clear if I have a Transfer Case Seal issue or a Spline Leak issue. I have included a photo below. You can see the oil coming out at what appears to be the spline. Am I possibly missing a washer or something else? I did read where some folks use a silicone sealant around the spline to stop a leak, I just want to be sure that is the issue and not th Transfer Case seal. Thanks for the help.

e-brake leak.jpg

That's a TC oil seal leak and relatively easy to fix, remove e-brake assembly, you will need a puller, remove old seal install new seal. Here's the location:
IMG_20140720_114947_zps261e4b9b.jpg

IMG_20140720_114446_zps510f56c3.jpg

78fj40MG many thanks for the reply. I will look to see if I have a seal around and change that out. I will post up some more pics and the results. This will be a "nice to have" item off of my list. Next will be getting my re-built 2F under the hood.

Mine leaks down the splines. I've replaced the seal twice with no effect on the leak. I jammed some RTV into the splines and put it all back together. That significantly reduced the leak, just an occasional drip especially when parked nose up.

hey that thing is leaking because you pulled the drum off ,put the drum back on and the leak will stop .:D

the splines shouldn't leak much at all .even if it did the oil should stay in the end of the drive shaft cavity that clears that big nut .if worried about spline leak just remove nut and washer put a blob on the end of shaft splines and washer and bolt it back on .the washer and rtv should seal the splines up .

I think I am going to put the silicone (RTV) on the splines when I put it back together for good measure. Pulled the entire speedo unit and cleaned and painted it while I am waiting for the Transfer Case Seal to arrive from Beno. Thanks for the advice.

Speedo Housing on Transfer Case.jpg

Speedo Housing Painted.jpg

Hard to say from what you've said if your oil leak is from the seal or splines (and I'm puzzled why I see your nut in place on your transfer output shaft when you have no drum fitted behind it).

For your information, I believe your lower spring should sit behind the shoes and not in front of them.

And moving on....I think fitting a new seal is a good idea (particularly if you're at all unsure of the age/condition of your old one).

So moving on still further to the subject of the splines ....Putting silicone on them is pointless in my opinion because they generally have so much "back-lash" that it quickly "chews out".

Better to accept that they'll leak oil and instead apply sealant to the driveshaft U-joint-flange (where it mates to the brake drum).

:beer:

Folks, Thanks for all the insight and tips. I took off my speedo housing cleaned it up and reinstalled with a new seal from Beno. Thanks for the help. Time will tell if it stops my leak. Happy Wheeling!!

Speedo Housing on Transfer Case.jpg

Speedo Housing Painted.jpg

Tranny Output Rebuilt (2).JPG

Tranny Output Rebuilt (3).JPG

Aside from the seal wearing out, it is important to check that the shaft diameter isn't worn down where the seal rides. If it is worn, a new seal can still leak. Look up "Poser", he sells a modified housing with double oil seals installed. This worked great for my leak, as the second seal rides on an area of the shaft that is not worn. He is very helpful and knowledgeable.

Someone used to sell a modified speedo housing that was milled out deep enough to install 2 seals in it. I bought a spare housing to do that myself on, but I sold the rig before I tried it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom