Transfer Case removal / replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, I’ll be swapping the transfer case on my 80 this weekend. Seems fairly straight forward. Is there anything that I should be aware of or prepared to do??

Planning on doing it solo.
Thanks for the feedback

Jayson

5A671FC0-6D92-49A1-83E8-93B58828863C.jpeg

Nice LC, how you liking the Delta Bumper?

As for you transfer case depends how rusty the bolts are.

What are you using for a jack? I had to make a custom top plate for my Harbor Freight Daytona jack with loops I could hook ratchet straps onto. The transfer case is pretty heavy.

You're going to want at least another pair of hands to help you. The transfer case will not sit correctly on a floor jack and will need to be rotated and slid over the transmission output shaft to line up with the locator pins. It is also pretty freakin heavy.

Thank you,.. the Delta bumper is great! Love it!

So are the Delta prices 🤣🤣. Alright all jokes aside. An extra hand would be nice. I dropped and reinstalled mine by myself. So depends on how big of a man you are.
I bought a cheap transmission Jack from harbor freight with the strap and used it with no problem. Replaced the seals on mine.

Now for the the good stuff.
1. Make sure you have swivel socket set. The bolt facing the front in between the transfer case and tranny is a major pain to get out. The swivel socket is the only thing allows you to get enough torque.

2. Connectors are a major pain in a$$ to reach and unplug. Use wd40 to help loosen them if you can’t get the apart.

3. You will have to unbolt the tranny brace and hold with a Jack to get it lowered and be able to access the bolts. Search mud there is a good write up on someone that took there’s off.

Other than not that bad of job. Like most jobs on these LCs it’s no walk in the park either.

I'll second the additional pair of hands, or a good trans jack or homemade adapter plate. I'm only 155lbs, and I did mine without either, but it was dangerous and very difficult. I wouldn't do it again, but there's no turning back once you get it loose! Getting out from under it (the TC), while under the truck was the hardest part doing it by hand (and getting back under it, under the truck to reinstall).

I know this sounds like a lot of additional work but if you find it impossible to get to the upper retention bolts or the hard to get to connectors are seized together, removing the shifter console gives good access through the transmission tunnel. And “while you are in there” you can clean up the shifter console, replace the rubber floor gasket under the console and also replace the shifter linkage bushings and related hardware, and also see how well “cooked” the wires that route over top of the transmission are. Of course all this will require removal of seats and carpet.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom