Transfer case rebuild - who's done it at home ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 80 apart from running the original 1hz motor also has it's original HF1A part-time transfer case (no CDL).

I'm aware they are a relatively 'simple' assembly but I've never attempted to disassemble or work on one except from the outside.

I have a leak from the front output shaft seal and I think it's possible to remove just the front section of the assembly to access and replace the seal.

Just curious who has rebuilt their 80's transfer case at home, and how it worked out? Obviously I'd be delving into something outside my current skillset.

Rebuild kits are plentiful here as lots of 80's were set up as factory part-time for the Australian market. There would be a lot more part-time 80's here than even in the entire 80 series ownership cohort of the USA I reckon (since US 80's were all high spec LX450's).

I'm in the same position as you - HF1A transfer with a slow leak on the front output shaft seal. My plan was to eventually source a spare HF1A (and H150F gearbox), so I could have them on hand and potentially do a full rebuild and swap in my rig. In the short term though, I was going to examime the spare transfer and work out the viability of fixing the front output seal with the transfer still installed on my rig. I haven't seen one at the right price and location come up at the right time though, hence I'm still waiting.

I'm interested in what you come up with here. If you find an answer elsewhere, please post it here, it'll help me out.

Would remove the case to replace the other two seals as well and the transmission out shaft seal About the age where they will all leak.

It is doable and I have done just the front before but as @Sc0- said I would pull the case and do it all at once. You will be chasing leaks after you do the front…I did.
HF1A rebuild

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom