Transfer Case Rebuild and Spun Bearing Races (2 Viewers)

G'Day,

I'm currently in the process of completely rebuilding the transfer case on my 1996 HDJ80.
This is pretty much, because I had it open anyway and after 380.000kms simply wanted to do it right - once^^

Unfortunately I've found, that almost all bearing races have spun inside their mating surfaces within the case housing.
You can see witness marks on every bore - some worse than others, but at the end of the day they were all easy to remove as well. The ball bearings on the input shaft fell out of the housing on their own after two hours of simply lying around. No force required...
The bearings on the shafts were all super tight and look good.
Obviously the bores are all aluminium and the races are hardened steel, so they expand differently under heat.
I'm still not sure that it is okay for them to spin at any time?!
None were spinnable by hand, however.

The image below is not from the transfer case, but front differential. It looks similar, but it's nowhere near as bad in the t'case, though!
The bearing shown was actually spinnable by hand, but that is a different story.
20200823_141737.jpg

To be safe, I was thinking about using Loctite 620 on the races when putting it back together.
What do you guys think?

Also I'm interested if I can simply reuse all the shims to set the bearing preloads?
There are multiple shims available. For example 36231K / 9020182011-9020182023
If not, how am I supposed to find the correct preload? I can't seem to find any information about that in my FSM.

Cheers,
Mark

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Top Bottom