Transfer Case Plug Stripped - FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking for thoughts and advice on using a time-sert to repair a stripped transfer case plug on my 1988 FJ62. Has anyone else done this repair and if so, what size did you use? Open to other ideas, but I think finding a donor transfer case is out of the cards for now. Appreciate anything the community can provide.

drain or fill?
fill, you could tap out to 1/2"? pipe

NPT plug as a temporary fix until the next time you have the T-case apart, when it’s clean and on a workbench it’s pretty easy to weld the hole up, add material where Toyota deemed it unnecessary, re-tap and machine flat for a better-then-new repair.

drain or fill?
fill, you could tap out to 1/2"? pipe
It's the drain plug, sorry I meant to mention that. I read about tapping and using a NPT plug in another thread for the fill hole, but wasn't sure about how good of a fix it was for the drain. Time-Sert seemed interesting to me as an option, but I've never done that before.

For a temporary hillbilly shade tree mechanic band aid fix, (did I miss any other derogatory labels?) it could -maybe- be possible to replace the drain plug with a rubber expansion plug.
I've never done it and I'm not sure if the rubber would seal on the threads, but it is a poor man's possibility.
The expansion plug, once it's cranked in there tight could be left undisturbed and when it's time to drain the transfer case again, the oil could be sucked out through the fill hole (using a suction pump) instead of drained out the bottom.

Just an idea

image.jpeg

I used this stuff and some teflon tape as a quick fix. That was 4 years ago. Not sure how bad yours is stripped out. I have another case and just been to lazy to swap out. Also you can find a larger bolt and tap into the case. I also did that with my 05 LX470 transmission pan. Rust belt remedies

Screenshot_20210827-135200_eBay.jpg

The Time-Sert works very well and is a permanent fix, but they are spendy for a one-time use. Size is listed in linked threads.

A possible alternative, if there are enough threads left, is to use one of the long, Allen-wrench plugs that may be able to engage some remaining threads. Long one - Part # 90341-18021

Various M18 x 1.5 plugs:

1630089731941.png

1630090027908.png

1630089667253.png

Last edited:
It's the drain plug, sorry I meant to mention that. I read about tapping and using a NPT plug in another thread for the fill hole, but wasn't sure about how good of a fix it was for the drain. Time-Sert seemed interesting to me as an option, but I've never done that before.

it will work in a drain also, as stated above, it should be done better when apart.

I did one on a semi truck oil pan 2 months ago and we just got the replacement oil pan in yesterday. the truck needed to run that night. it's been running the last 2 months, we'll end up changing the pan, most likely over the winter when its slower.
the oil pan is aluminium also.
used a brass plug with a hex head and some teflon tape

Last time I had this happen I went a from a 18mm to 20mm . I believe the t-case plug I used at that time was from a Mitsubishi Montero.
This happened ten years ago so forgive me if my details on the truck model are wrong but I'm still running that t-case without issue.
If you don't want to search for the plug, Belmetric sells a stainless version. Belmetric is one of those companies you should save in your
favorites regardless if you need them right now.

Last time I had this happen I went a from a 18mm to 20mm . I believe the t-case plug I used at that time was from a Mitsubishi Montero.
This happened ten years ago so forgive me if my details on the truck model are wrong but I'm still running that t-case without issue.
If you don't want to search for the plug, Belmetric sells a stainless version. Belmetric is one of those companies you should save in your
favorites regardless if you need them right now.
Just saved to my bookmarks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom