Transfer case plug helicoil? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Saw my truck was leaking at the T-case fill plug. When I tried to tighten it, it just spun. I got it out, and found the threads of the plug packed with...something metal, which I was able to spin off of the threads. I will try to post some pics soon.

Now I need to repair this. Does anyone know if the fill plug is heli-coiled? My thought was to tap the threads, and put is a M18 helicoil. Finding one that size has been tough though...

JT

Saw my truck was leaking at the T-case fill plug. When I tried to tighten it, it just spun. I got it out, and found the threads of the plug packed with...something metal, which I was able to spin off of the threads. I will try to post some pics soon.

Now I need to repair this. Does anyone know if the fill plug is heli-coiled? My thought was to tap the threads, and put is a M18 helicoil. Finding one that size has been tough though...

JT

I had this very same problem and thank goodness it's only the fill plug. I'm pretty sure there isn't a coil that big, but I did find something else that may work...try this site... Over Size and Repair Oil Drain Plugs . I ended up just wrapping mine in thread tape and using a small piece of metal that attached where the wire comes out of the T Case to hold pressure on it so it would never fall out. Sounds crazy, but I haven't had a leak or any issues. I'd take a picture for you, but it's been at the tranny shop for months:mad:...not due to the above mentioned fix :D

Awesome!! Thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom