transfer case noise??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i just put my 4spd gears into a 3spd housing (cuz it was all i could find) and i didn't rebuild it because it wasn't giving me any problems besides my cracked housing. now when i let off the gas it makes a fast intermittent sound. any ideas what this might be??

it's a grinding sound. sounds like the gears aren't meshing like they were in the other case. i didn't check for any tolerences. and it did seem as if the idler gear clearance was different. where can i get those thrust washers?

I am not aware that it is possible to successfully install 4sp gears in a 3sp case. While it is possible to swap 3sp gears into a 4sp case by adding extra shims, the other way around may doesn't seem possible unless you leave out the thrust washers. If you leave out the washers, the gears will grind against the case. Not good.

yeah, i only put one thrust washer in there. the other wouldn't fit. everything was snug, so i assumed i wouldn't need the other thrust washer. s***.

does this mean i'm doomed. i know where the three spd gears for this case are, but i have a 16 spline output shaft on my adapter. what should i do?

Get yourself a known good 4spd tcase...and a tcase saver.

I would not run it any longer like you have it currently.

yeah man if you dont' have the thrust washer in there you will machine right through that aluminum with that gear.

It's not supposed to. But hey your already going to have to take the case off again why not do it right. If you can somehow get the other thrust washer in there it probably wont matter cause if you have removed that much AL then your bearing and seals are probably shot.

so true. i'm gonna go ahead and order a rebuild kit now. i looked on coolcruisers and they have a kit for two different 4spds. how can i tell which one is mine if i don't know the year.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom