1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transfer case mount?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by hobbes, Aug 6, 2005.

1. hobbes

hobbes SILVER Star

Quick question...I'm trying to chase down a vibration. I have the rear drive shaft out. I notice when I push up on the rear output shaft (to check for slop), the transfer case will move slightly to the right. The mounts on the left look fine. It looks like there is a mount on the right, but it's not connected to anything. It's just a rubber block hanging there. Is it supposed to connect to anything but the transfer case? The bolt through the center of the rubber block is tight but there is still a gap at the bottom. Does this make any sense? I cannot find anything in the manual about it.

2. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

that block is for counteracting some vibrations. It just hangs out there, nothing wrong.

3. hobbes

hobbes SILVER Star

4. flintknapper

flintknapper

I think that was my first question when I got my Cruiser. It looked like a mount to me also. In addition, I noticed some holes in the box frame that were unused and appeared to be for a crossmember or skid plate.

I was told here that the rubber "do-hicky" was a dampener...and I just blew it off. Well, lo and behold when I got my FSM, guess what...........

Vibration Dampener.

Your not the first.

5. chukarhiker

chukarhiker

Ditto--was wondering myself while lying under today