Transfer Case Model Number for KZJ78 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone know the transfer case model number for a KZJ78?

I believe is RA1 or something of that nature.

Cant recall its p/n..
Why do you need it??
They are pretty much all the same for the part time 4x4 70 series, just the KZJ7 series have a different ratio from the heavy duty trucks.

I think these are what you are after. The Hilux transfer case is not the same as the KZJ78.
Landcruiser Gears

Anyone else care to comment

I believe Marks gears are for the heavier duty landcruisers with the H55 gearbox. My gearbox is the R151F. I assume the transfer cases are different between the 2 geaboxes, but presently no idea.

I believe Marks gears are for the heavier duty landcruisers with the H55 gearbox. My gearbox is the R151F. I assume the transfer cases are different between the 2 geaboxes, but presently no idea.
No, I think they are the same.

From Marks 4WD transfer case gears page...
Landcruiser Gears

Toyota Land Cruiser Split Transfer case
These gears have been designed to directly replace all of the Toyota split transfer case gears as fitted to Land Cruiser BJ, FJ, LJ, RJ, and HJ models built between 08/1980 through to 01/1990. All HZJ75 models and the HZJ78 and 79 series can also be fitted with these gears.

HZJ78 and HZJ79 have the R151F, with the HF1A transfer case.​

The KZJ78 with manual or auto use the split transfercase, 70 series Landcrusier transfercase.
Even tho the same manual is used in the hilux....
The low range gears are contained in the transfercase section....

Good old Toyota mixed and matched boxes / transfercases over different models and years.

The KZJ78 with manual or auto use the split transfercase, 70 series Landcrusier transfercase.
Even tho the same manual is used in the hilux....
The low range gears are contained in the transfercase section....

Good old Toyota mixed and matched boxes / transfercases over different models and years.

So would the marlin low range gears fit in?

I sent a query to Marlin yesterday.

In short, no.... They are for the Hilux transfercase...
Been down this track a few years back.

The Mark's Gears are wonderful, a little bit of gear whine, but the low range is worth it. I have e1:1 / 3.05:1 in my BJ74 Auto and LOVE these gears.

~John

Marks transfer case gears are awesome. I have 1.08 to 1 Hi range and like John I have 3.05 to 1 Low. Obstacles are easier to attack with the Lower range. A little bit of whine..... No big deal for me.

The Mark's Gears are wonderful, a little bit of gear whine, but the low range is worth it. I have e1:1 / 3.05:1 in my BJ74 Auto and LOVE these gears.

~John

Marks transfer case gears are awesome. I have 1.08 to 1 Hi range and like John I have 3.05 to 1 Low. Obstacles are easier to attack with the Lower range. A little bit of whine..... No big deal for me.

So you both just installed the lower gear kit and did not bother with dual transfer cases?

Yes, it's a much simpler installation and you do not need to change your driveshafts, fabricate cross-members, and cut shifter holes.

~John

They are what I am after, but at that price and I could have 1 1/2 new gearbox's:)

They are what I am after, but at that price and I could have 1 1/2 new gearbox's:)

New R151F = $2600AU (I priced it last week from Toyota)
Marks Gears = $1825AU

Where can you get a new R151F for the equivalent of $1200AU?

New R151F = $2600AU (I priced it last week from Toyota)
Marks Gears = $1825AU

Where can you get a new R151F for the equivalent of $1200AU?

Chop shop, 2nd hand/used.

It's made by Toyota and it's a pretty standard vacuum actuated landcruiser split case. Look it up on Megazip or ToyotDiy if you want to compare exact part numbers to other landcruiser models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom