Transfer case linkage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My transfer case will not shift into 2H or 4H but it will go into 2L. I have a 1971 fj40 with an early 1975 drive train. Im hoping its just transfer fork however Ive noticed I am getting a lot of play in my gear shift. my questions are; Can the transfer fork be replaced while the tranfer case is still in the truck? By looking at the picture does the linkage look correct as far as the amount of play ? also Ive noticed the shift boot can come out of the shift shaft, is that correct? I also noticed that Im missing the shifter mounting bracket. Thank you for your help.

IMG_2207.JPG

IMG_2211.JPG

IMG_2215.JPG

The bends you have in shifter will create some issues with the leverage they can produce. Their location is also problematic unless you are not running the stock gas tank. I can see a weld on the rod that actuated the high/low clutch. My guess is the geometry is wrong. Consider using twin sticks and get rid of the problem.
Yes, you can remove the FD shift fork and repair/replace or modify for twin sticks.

The bends you have in shifter will create some issues with the leverage they can produce. Their location is also problematic unless you are not running the stock gas tank. I can see a weld on the rod that actuated the high/low clutch. My guess is the geometry is wrong. Consider using twin sticks and get rid of the problem.
Yes, you can remove the FD shift fork and repair/replace or modify for twin sticks.
thank you for the reply. I'll look into twin sticks. I thought about just buying a new shift fork housing, shift lever that is straight, install it all and just do some patchwork to the trans housing. I think the PO bent the shift lever to try to keep it in the trans cover. I have so much to learn about these 40's.

Twin sticks make certain aspects of operating the t-case more positive and reliable. I prefer them over the stock shifter unless it's for a resto or totally stock, unmolested FJ40.

@ENDO

I think the linkage you have is a re-used bastardized 3 speed linkage, and not the stock 4 speed linkage.

Note the picture below, from a '74 FJ40 with 4 speed transmission. The t'case linkage is in line with the transmission shifter. Your picture has the t'case shifter about 4 inches behind the transmission shifter.

Since the 4 speed transmission is 4 inches longer than the 3 speed, and your truck has a 4 speed transplant, maybe the P.O. tried to make the old linkage work, but moving it back 4 inches into the narrowing transmission tunnel cover forced him to bend the t'case shifter.

7.jpg

So I’ve ordered a twin stick . Thank you guys for the suggestion. But I have another question. If I have no bracket for my shift lever, is it possible to push the shift lever either to far forward or to far back so that the shift fork pushes the sleeve to far so that it does not engage both splines at the same time? That’s one heck of a sentence lol.

Are you asking about the shift gate for the OEM t-case shifter?

The shift gate is intended to limit the travel of the shift lever, but the shifter will function without it. The FD and hi/lo clutch travel is mechanically limited.

Are you asking about the shift gate for the OEM t-case shifter?

The shift gate is intended to limit the travel of the shift lever, but the shifter will function without it. The FD and hi/lo clutch travel is mechanically limited.
Yes sir, I am , however I was told that the travel is limited , So this would not happen. I’m going to install the twin shift and see what happens.

3AB6F982-5AE9-4546-9E88-D99364EACCDD.jpeg

Yes sir, I am , however I was told that the travel is limited , So this would not happen. I’m going to install the twin shift and see what happens.

View attachment 2215988
You'll like the twin sticks. Here's a pic of them coming out the stock location with a custom boot, on a 4l60 transmission. Pic is misleading, they are not that close to the dash.
20150505_193828.jpg

Last edited:
Personally think twin stick is a expensive way to solve a problem that still needs some mods or some original parts added. Without the shift gate can do the same as twin stick and still have the factory look. When I added a four speed to my 68 I used all the correct four speed transfer shift linkage on my three speed transfer case. I also shortened the transmission cover from a later cruiser and used factory boots. Toyota switched the transfer linkage design 4/75. That design lasted into the nineties at least and possibly longer. If the design was bad would have thought Toyota would have changed it pretty quick. I know the twin stick is easy to operate the high/low range up to 4/75. After 4/75 how does the twin stick work when the lever on the transfer case went side to side verses the older front to back lever?

I know the twin stick is easy to operate the high/low range up to 4/75. After 4/75 how does the twin stick work when the lever on the transfer case went side to side verses the older front to back lever?

Mine (12/79) works well, though I have an Orion case with the original nose cone. IIRC they give you a new "piston" with a hole in the end so you can make a positive connection with the shifter.

Edited: I was thinking of the 2WD-4WD shifter, not High-Low range.

Last edited:
Mine (12/79) works well, though I have an Orion case with the original nose cone. IIRC they give you a new "piston" with a hole in the end so you can make a positive connection with the shifter.

A PO installed a 74 transfer case in my 3/79. Instead of switching the top covers so the shift lever would still be pointing forward they used a combination of the the 79 and 74 transfer case shift linkage. Still uses the original lever thru the floor so it looks stock. Next time the transmission come out a H55F is going in so that will correct that mismatch and be stock for a H55F/split case combination.

I am curious which way the high/low shift lever points on the Orion? I know 79 that lever pointed forward. Just wondering how a twin stick handles a forward facing lever.

I am curious which way the high/low shift lever points on the Orion? I know 79 that lever pointed forward. Just wondering how a twin stick handles a forward facing lever.

If I understand your question correctly - the linkage from the twin stick(s) is very direct, it just goes straight back to the pivot arm on top of the case. High range is with the left stick all the way forward, which is convenient for every day (high range) use. May be able to see this in the photo I posted. To engage low range you pull the left stick back.

If I understand your question correctly - the linkage from the twin stick(s) is very direct, it just goes straight back to the pivot arm on top of the case. High range is with the left stick all the way forward, which is convenient for every day (high range) use. May be able to see this in the photo I posted. To engage low range you pull the left stick back.

What I'm curious about is the position on the high low shift lever on the transfer case. 2/79 on the stock transfer case the lever pointed forward and shifting was done moving side to side. Up to 4/75 the lever went towards the right side and moved front to back. Twin stick is easy to operate the early style. Later either requires changing the lever to the side or a point it pivots off to change direction ninety degrees. I know parts are available to change direction of the high low range selector in the transfer case. Just really curious the twin stick handles this. The stock linkage moves front to back for 2WD to 4WD with forward being 2WD out of the way. High Neutral Low is by side to side motion with left being high range.

What I'm curious about is the position on the high low shift lever on the transfer case. 2/79 on the stock transfer case the lever pointed forward and shifting was done moving side to side. Up to 4/75 the lever went towards the right side and moved front to back. Twin stick is easy to operate the early style. Later either requires changing the lever to the side or a point it pivots off to change direction ninety degrees. I know parts are available to change direction of the high low range selector in the transfer case. Just really curious the twin stick handles this. The stock linkage moves front to back for 2WD to 4WD with forward being 2WD out of the way. High Neutral Low is by side to side motion with left being high range.

I don't have a photo where you can see the twin stick linkages installed, but maybe I can take one. The H-N-L lever on top of the Orion points more or less north-south (pointing to the front of the truck) for high range, and when you shift into low range it is pointing almost due east (towards the passenger side of the truck. Here is a photo of mine before installation, in high range:

Orion 007.JPG

The High-N-Low stick is at enough of an angle to be able to push the lever on the case back/to the side.

I don't have a photo where you can see the twin stick linkages installed, but maybe I can take one. The H-N-L lever on top of the Orion points more or less north-south (pointing to the front of the truck) for high range, and when you shift into low range it is pointing almost due east (towards the passenger side of the truck. Here is a photo of mine before installation, in high range:

View attachment 2217686

The High-N-Low stick is at enough of an angle to be able to push the lever on the case back/to the side.

The stock case high low lever has no where close to ninety degrees movement.

The stock case high low lever has no where close to ninety degrees movement.

I may be exagerating. But, I remembered that that photo I just posted was for the stock linkage.

The twin-stick kit came with a much heavier/meatier lever with a Heim joint to replace that one on top of the case. It points more or less west, towards the passenger side in high range, and moves south towards the rear to engage neutral and low range. Here is a photo of the H-N-L linkage and lever, but there is not much room above the frame rail (and enough light) to see it well. Case is in high range:

IMG_1387[1].JPG

I installed the AA twin sticks today . Thanks Georg at valley hybrid . I had to do some fabricating to get this back near stock location. The threaded linkage rod needs to be longer. However I still only have 4 lo. It feels like it’s in neutral and won’t go into 2h. Or feels as though there is a 4 and neutral but no 2.

5DE77D22-19B2-41E1-ADF7-2544825A1F76.jpeg

C9B962A8-DF34-4E81-926A-3694D8CF49A2.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom