Transfer case leak caused by using e-brake? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dianna

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey guys, my master cylinder crapped out and I had zero brakes. I limped home but had to use my e-brake a couple times (at a very slow speed as I used the manual trans to control my speed). The next day I had a large puddle of gear oil under the truck. It is possible there is any correlation here? I'm ordering the Valley Hybrids kit to fix it, but was just curious if the ebrake could have had anything to do with it, as generally it is only applied when my truck is stopped. Seemed strange to go from no leak (the only seal that was not leaking, lol) to a large puddle.

More investigation needed, verify that the trail of gear oil is indeed from the seal between transfer and e-brake.

Seems like you have stored the rig for the winter , and now are enjoying it?, might be the seal needs to get warmed up a bit, refreshed.
There is always something to maintain! :lol:

I took the cover off and pressure washed, hopefully I will be able to tell where the leak came from (if there is still any more gear oil in it, lol).

Emergency brakes are normally applied when the vehicle is stopped. The transfer case seal keeps fluid inside the case. My guess would be that using it while rolling might have revealed that the bearing on the shaft is worn. This allowed the shaft to wobble where the seal couldn't keep the fluid contained. The fluid that leaked gathered in the drum and leaked out over night. Just a guess.

Thanks Byron. I checked the level yesterday and was able to add about the same amount that came out. I left the cover off and overnight, not a drop. This makes sense, thanks again!

Now I'm having a random thought, does Toyota refer to it as an "emergency brake" or "parking brake?" Guess I should go find my manual!

Toyota ‘65 FJ40 parts book calls it a parking brake
Toyota ‘56 BJ25 parts book calls it a center brake
FWTW 😊

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom