transfer case leak and e-brake question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.rockcrawler
71 fj40
stock 3 spd t/case

it's been leaking for a while, i've circled the spot it's dripping from in the picture. question one: is there a gasket i need or how do i fix this?

question two: since my e-brake cable is cut and i have no parts in the cab for an e-brake, can this whole part just be removed, if so, what part do i need to hook up the drive shaft straight to the t/case?

(thus eliminating the need to fix the leak in question one.)

Last edited:
Regardless if you changed the output to eliminate the e-brake the same seal has to be replaced. Every output I have seen apart also had the seal surface grooved as well. There are speedi sleeves to solve that problem.

I don't know why you wouldn't take it apart, replace the seal, slap a speedi sleeve over the output yoke, and replace the ebrake parts. $200 maybe and you have as good an ebrake as there is.

Not that I am some kinda guardian of YOUR safety, but when your rig mysteriously starts rolling down a hillside and encounters another object, well you get the picture. Reconsider it with a small child minding their own business being the object.

Don't let safety items slide, PLEASE!

i dont think you can

I agree with SpaceGhost :D

Get the seal, the speedi-sleeve, the brake pads, and a used cable, all for $100... :D

parkbrakeshoes_thumb.JPG
TC45001_thumb.jpg

;)

Hello,
I bought a kit on e-bay for $45.00. I have seen a xfer brake eliminator for folks who have e-brakes on the rear discs. Fix it ,it is really easy about 1 hour if you can handle basic hand tools.
Otter

I never had a leak until i installed my Orion. Not alot, but enough to piss me off. So i thought i jacked up the seal. Got a new seal and drip, drip. Not alot, but enough to piss me off ! So i got another seal, emory'ed the flange, and used a speedy sleeve. This was yesterday ! Got home and checked, drip,drip,drip. Not alot of fluid, just enough to REALLY PISS ME OFF !!! Any idea's ??? :crybaby:

two seals. see murack.com for his speedo housing machined for two seals or do youself w/ die grinder. the second seal will grab virgin part of pbrake drum

it may make a difference to you who are concerned with safety that i have an automatic installed. i personally don't know anyone with an automatic that uses the e-brake. so with that in mind, back to question two, is there a part that i need if i take the e-brake part off the t/case?

milesstarkey said:
... so with that in mind, back to question two, is there a part that i need if i take the e-brake part off the t/case?

Nope, pull off the drum (remove stake nut) and then remove the 4 little bolts that hold the brake backing plate on, take it off...

The drum needs to stay as it functions as the output seal surface and the driveline flange. Throw in on a lathe and turn the drum off the flange, that is the way to do it IMHO...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom