Transfer case issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey mud!

So I was on a shakedown run last weekend with my 5.3 set up, and I am running a split transfer a case from 1986. The guy Zack that sold me this set up had rebuilt this case himself back in 2018, and I am the first one to run it in 4WD.

I won’t keep this to a long series of symptoms, but basically my front driveshaft was not engaging, and I thought it was the hubs, but it ended up being opinion moving in and out preventing the output shaft gears from meshing with the pinion flange gears.

The pinion nut was cranked down also.

When I took the pinion flange off and the associated seal, this photo shows what was behind that.

My question is, should there be a retainer clip or seat clip of some kind to hold that bearing back in there so that it doesn’t move forward?

With the truck sitting in the driveway, I am not able to replicate the symptoms on the trail, I can engage four-wheel-drive and 2 Wheel Dr. easily, and the output shaft spins freely and locks as it should.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

D97EFD15-CB77-4859-BFDB-2B856C4ABA6C.jpeg

If you can't shift it into 4WD at all, the PO botched the rebuild.
If it pops out of 4WD when torque is put on it, that's worn parts.

If the engagement teeth of the front output shaft are rounded a bit (which is common) they won't be able to grip their mating pair in the front drive clutch sleeve— it'll pop out of 4WD when extra torque gets applied.
There's two remedies:
1. Replace the worn parts, or
2. Lash the transfer lever to the passenger seat frame to prevent it from popping out of 4WD.

image.png
image.png

It will shift into 4wd and back to 2wd no problem. In the driveway, with the front driveshaft removed, it behaves normally. I have only had Torque applied one time, and that's when it "slipped out".

I have asked the PO what parts were new and what parts he re-used.

thaks, @OSS

I don't see the retaining snap ring for that bearing in your pic. I feel like I told you that was the issue before you even dug into it? That is absolutely why your front output shaft was able to partially exit the T-case at windrock

Shifting in and out of 4wd sitting static in your driveway is absolutely different load cases when compared to being off-road, actually driving, etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom