1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

transfer case in a 60 series description?

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by Toyminater, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Toyminater

Toyminater

transfer case in a 62 series description?

Hi guys I am from the other side of the forum (80 series)and am trying to learn what the pros and maybe cons of converting a tranfer case from a 62 series to an 80 series transemission (94 to be exact)

Some have done it and havent given exact reasons for doing it other than having to remove the vacuum assembly and go manual (I did search)

So describe how the tranfer case in a 62 works and why it would be better than going to an after market par time conversion kit.

BTW, FWIW the Land Rover transfer case (LT230) has 1.6 to 1 reduction (in high range!) and an available 1.4 to 1 high range as well (you aussie guys can verify this) so no nee to regear- even up to 35-39!! keep the stronger ratio diffs Higher gears= strength.

Thanks for any info. B

Last edited: Aug 25, 2006
  2. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew SILVER Star

I believe you would have to change the entire transmission as well to get the proper output, so no dice. Also, in a 94, I don't think this is possible at all, since the bellhousing pattern is wrong for any transmission that would take a split case transfer.

There is essentially no easy gear reduction for an 80 series, but there is a very complex crawl box conversion from Australia that involves mods to the body and fuel tank. Contact Slee Offraod if you want to go that route.

Just do the part time conversion with the existing case if that's what you want.

3. Toyminater

Toyminater

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=107104

i was meaning 62 series FWIW- how di dhe put them together if they wont fit?

4. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew SILVER Star

Are you converting the 1994 80 series or a 62 series? The 1994 cannot be converted in this fashion. The bell housing will not bolt up to a transmission that you can bolt a split case to. With a 91 or 92 80 series, the bolt patterns are different and so you could potentially bolt up an H55F + split case. It won't work in a 94.

You could also (I think) bolt up an FJ62s tranny and transmission to a 91 0r 92 80 series but not later.

5. lowtideride

lowtideride

Media:
    Albums:
    fj62 t-cases dont fit inside the frame rails of an 80series. The vaccum shift does not allow it. You would have to use a 60 series transfer case or adapt a 62 case it manual linakge. I posted a thread up on 80 series tech a few days ago.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">